SL2HT tuning problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL2HT tuning problems

I recently purchased a new SL2HT Soloist which, of course, you probably know is a tunamatic bridge/string-thru-body.

I have had tuning problems since day one. The axe came factory with .009 gauge strings. Shortly afterwards, I restrung it with .010 gauge strings. I have been playing for 14+ years and have a good idea of how to properly restring a guitar.

When the tuning problems persisted, it hastened my trip to the Authorized tech I normally go to for a setup. I suspected that the nut needed to be slotted just a bit more too accomodate the heavier strings. The tech did this. He agreed that this may have been the problem. All seemed well after a full setup (nut slotting, intonation, neck relief, etc). However this only lasted for a short while.

Everytime I do a bend that goes past about 1 step the whole damn thing goes flat, but most notably on the unwound G,B, and E strings. It will stay in tune for 15 minutes at a time with somewhat heavy bending, then out of no where multiple strings go flat again after one bend. It's getting frustrating. My hardtail USA Double Fat Strat stays in tune and so should this Jackson. The guitar is in a room where the humidity is fairly well controled, but I am not excluding the fact that the humidity that does creep in here might be having an effect.

I am an experienced player and I am thinking the only thing left might be that I didn't restring it very well with the 10 gauge strings, or the nut slots need to widened a tad more. I will put a dab of that new Nut Sauce lubricant on there when I can find some.

Has anyone else experienced this with a tunamatic/string-thru, or does anyone have some advice?

Thanks for your time!

Re: SL2HT tuning problems

I've never had good experience with string-thrus or hardtails. Most of the time when I watch people on stage playing Gibsons or Fenders, they have to tune after every song, so it sounds normal to me. I play Floyds exclusively now so don't have this problem. I used to have a KE2T and a Y2KV and had to tune much more often than with a Floyd, but I didn't keep track of how long. Also, and I'm sure you know this, once the strings get older, they'll stay in tune longer.
    My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

I have the same problem with my Archtop Pros that are also string throughs.I think it has to do with the sharp angle the strings take after the nut.I ended up using some Guitar Grease from Stew Mac.It has help alot but they still go out of tune just not as bad/fast.The only hardtail that I own that stays in tune really well is my Carvin Bolt.It has a straight string pull after the nut.
      Mike
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

I had some minor tuning problems with my reverse head tunamatic XTRR: they were solved by winding all the strings other than the high E the 'wrong' way, which reduced the angle after the nut.

In the interim, you could always rub some pencil graphite in the nut slots.....
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Locking tuners may help.
          Because I don't say it
          Doesn't mean I ain't thinking it

Comment

I have never ran into a problem with tunamatic bridges, of course mind you I'll spent 2-2 1/2 hours stretching the hell out of the strings and retuning until they don't go out of tune as quick.

Comment

To add to my original post- It's almost as if there is one central point of failure because as soon as the string bend is performed, 4 or 5 of the other strings go flat simultaneously versus just the one string that's being bent.

We're not talking about slight tuning problem, the thing goes so out of tune that it's like fingernails down a chalk board. It can't be that complicated... it's just a damn string-thru body.

I ordered some Big Bends Nut Sauce from MF a short while ago. Hopefully that and a restring will help/cure it.

Comment

It's not something horrible like the tunamatic moving on the studs, or the studs themselves rocking is it?
                Popular is not the same as good
                Rare is not the same as valuable
                Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

No neilli, nothing that bad. This is why it's so frustrating. I can't find any visible reason for why it's happening. The guitar is brand new... no flaws in the construction that I can see.

Comment

Yes, tune-o-matics are a bit difficult to keep in tune if you don't tune it correctly.

You're probably not tensioning the pegs right. Loosen the string a step or so, and bring up the tension until you are at proper pitch. If you have to loosen it a bit, you'll need to go back down before bringing it UP to pitch. NEVER tune down. You do not adjust the peg to lower the pitch, you always bring each string UP to pitch. You MUST keep full tension on the tuning peg/machine head at all times.

After doing this, pull the string, like you would stretch a string with a Floyd. Then check for pitch. If you're low, bring it up until you are at proper pitch.

After you have tuned like this, if you're still having some problems, you might be having hardware issues. String stretching IS a problem on all guitars and compounds the problem if you are not tuning properly, which is really the key IMO to having a TOM play correctly.
                    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

xenophobe- thanks for the tips man. I think your advice had something to do with the problem. I ended up re-stringing and all seems well. I had initially re-strung it and tuned to standard E, and later tuned down to E flat with the same set of strings. Maybe that was the issue because the new set of strings went right to E flat and all seems well, only the occasional/expected slight tuning problems. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Well, I have played through about 6 or 7 different tune-o-matic equipped guitars and I've never run into an issue like you have. Xeno's post is dead on. Always tune up to pitch. That is always how I tune my guitars when I play.

Live I usually have to retune after the second song, and then it usually holds it perfectly for the rest of the gig.

Comment

My JJP has a graphite nut, Sperzel locking tuners and it's a stop tail. Yet, as long as I've owned the damn thing it's always had tuning problems. Just recently I tried this stuff called "Big Bends Nut Sauce", which is basically graphite with some synthetic lubricants. I applied a little bit of sauce to my nut and saddles... and whamo! The guitar hasn't gone out of tune once since I started using the stuff. It's pretty amazing really...

I've got it here for $15.00 a tube if anyone wants to check it out. It's actually packaged in a syringe for neat application. One tube will probably last you the rest of your life as only a tiny bit is applied when changing strings.

Nice name, eh?
                          Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

+1 for Big Bends Nut Sauce! I've been using it for years and highly recommend it. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

I've had lots of tune-O Matic Jacksons and never had any tuning problems with any of them. It's operator error, guaranteed!

Comment

Nice! Yeah my tuning problems have been completely cured. I restrung it with greater care and applied a dab of nut sauce to the nut slots. I can bend the shit out of the strings now, 2+ steps up, and ZERO tuning problems. I am attributing most of the issue to my initial restringing job. But the Nut Sauce is helping too! Now... my other problem is that I want another SL2HT. ha. After playing this one for so much time now I am tempted to get my Strats refitted with Jumbos too.

Comment

Working...
                              X