RR5 vs RR1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR5 vs RR1

what would be the better choice between a new RR5 or a new RR1 ?

Re: RR5 vs RR1

If you like Floyds, RR1. If not, then RR1T. Both of which are more expensive than the RR5(which has no Floyd), but the price is well worth it in my opinion.

Comment

The RR5 is Japanese made with a rosewood board without binding, the RR1 is USA made with an ebony board and binding.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Regarding price or not, I'd take the RR1 in a second.

Comment

Yeah, the RR1/RR1T definitely. The RR5 was a mistake, IMO.

Of course, it's the perfect victim for Newcensteining [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Depends on your budget and if you want to buy new or used??
            RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
            RIP Dime

Comment

The RR1 is the way to go, ebony, binding, usa...

Comment

i dont know why people slag on RR5's, probably because they've never played them, or maybe I lucked out on mine, but my RR5 constantly outperforms my 1989 RR floyd guitar, and most anything else I own.

if you want to spend 500-1000 more for an ebony board and binding, then thats a matter of preference

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  The RR5 was a mistake, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
                  How can it be a mistake if it sells?
                  *waves "down with guitar snobbery" flag*

Comment

The RR5 isn't a mistake, but is definately overpriced for what it is. A Kevin Bond RR is around $100 more, and gets you a bound ebony fretboard, a much better bridge, and a real Duncan pickup.

Don't make the mistake of thinking the only difference between a RR5 and a RR1T is the fretboard. USA Jacksons are made with a denser, higher grade of Alder. There is a significant tonal difference. Personally, I think the imports fall short of the USA's tonally, but that is simply a matter of personal preference.

They also fall short in fit, finish, and hardware. No opinion there, that's just cost cutting.

Comment

I've owned both and still have an RR1T. The RR5 was great in looks and sound, but it has a very thin neck. I could never get used to it. I'd still have it if I could get used to the neck. I normally play Les Pauls with huge necks on them. My RR1T and SL2H are closer neck wise to the LP's but still not as big.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        A Kevin Bond RR is around $100, and gets you a bound ebony fretboard, a much better bridge, and a real Duncan pickup.

[/ QUOTE ]
                        I suppose you mean $100 more.
                        * The RR5 does come with real Duncans.
                        * The RR5 and the KB Rhoads have the same bridge according to Jackson's spec listing.
                        * They're manufactured in the same place.

I can't say that I find the KB Rhoads to be a "better deal" than an RR5, but that's also like comparing apples to oranges to begin with. They're two very different guitars.

I've also seen people state that they prefer the RR5 over an RR1T (and who did own both at the same time). Clearly there are people who have different ideas about "superior wood selection and build quality".

Comment

Opps, you're right, they do have the same bridge. I thought the KB had the matching Schaller TOM to go with the fine tune stop tail. I guess that is only on KB's personal guitars.

Comment

I checked out an RR5 a few weeks ago....Action was a little stiff,but other than that,it didn't feel or sound too far off from the RR1 on the rack next to it...Granted it was through some little 15 watt amp with an 8" speaker,but there truely wasn't too much desparity between the two...
                            Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

I prefer the "bells and whistles" of the USA model RR's. I got killed for saying this last time, but the RR5 "felt" cheap when I played one at a local music store. I was on the market for a string thru a couple years ago so I tried them out. The gold or brass(?) looked so cheesy and the guitar was way light. The rosewood board looked terrible. All of this is just MY opinion. I wound up holding out for the RR1T. I am glad I did.
                              Scott
                              Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X