Another quirky soloist thing I noticed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another quirky soloist thing I noticed

On mine at least. So, I've overcome the pinch harmonics issue. After discovering "the secret" it's coming along much nicer now.

Well, as of late I have been really working on hammer-on's and pull-offs. It's a definite weak area for me. So, I started out just pulling off R-E-A-L S-L-O-W, and built speed. Anyhoo, there are exactly two spots that I get this quirky "noise" for lack of better description. It occurs at exactly 13th fret C (b-string) and 7th fret F# (b-string again). This occurs when I'm pulling off from exactly two frets above. It does not occur from 3 frets above nor 1 fret above. It doesn't happen from a hammer-on or from directly plucking the string. Anyway, what happens is the sound is sort of "frayed" and not distinct. After much monkeying with it, it appears that somehow the g-string gets vibrating and sort of goofs it all up. If I'm careful to deaden this string the sound typically goes away. This is quite odd, as I swear I am not accidentally touching the string with my fingers. It's almost as if a harmonic is set up and excites the string at these two locations.

Either my guitar is quirky or me. I hope it's just me since I can always fix myself.

BTW I get this running a Tube Screamer through my Line 6 XLII. Anybody else experience this?

Re: Another quirky soloist thing I noticed

It's a "sympathetic" vibration that occurs from the frequency of the pitch you are playing at the thirteen fret that causes the other note to ring lightly.

Comment

All my guitars make weird string noises like crazy if I don't mute the strings I'm not playing. Especially if I'm playing with alot of gain. If I don't mute then, all hell breakes loose.

Comment

i was getting an odd buzz once on certain frets that would emanate from the body. i realized that one of the control cavity plates wasn't tightened down enough, and the pitches of those notes would make the plate vibrate a little. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] i'm sure that's probably not what you're having happen, but check the screws just in case. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Spider is right,it's the Sitar principal,F# is close to the open G so the neck and body conduct the vibration and the G picks it up
          Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

Try stuffing a piece of foam rubber under the trem springs....sometimes they ring out at specific pitches.

Comment

another trem spring quik fix is to wrap a piece of 3/8" elastic trough the coils,put a little tension on it and staple the ends together...
              Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

This is EXACTLY what it seems like. Sympathetic vibration, that was the term I was struggling to come up with. Just goes hand in hand with the outstanding sustain I guess. I'm discovering more and more that the soloist requires a different touch than any of my other axes. It's great, mind you, but just quirky and will show your playing flaws more than other axes.

Oh, and I'll be sure to tighten everthing up screw-wise.

Comment

yep.. i get that on my fusion and the SG too. nothing wrong with the gutiar there. the other strings just start resonating with the tone of the one you're playing. i dont see anything wrong with that.. in fact. i think it would be wrong ifit WOULDNT be doing that.

IMO, it just shows that the guitar is very resonant (i could be wrong, but i dont think i am)
                  You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    another trem spring quik fix is to wrap a piece of 3/8" elastic trough the coils,put a little tension on it and staple the ends together...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I know what you're saying, but could you elaborate?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      yep.. ...it just shows that the guitar is very resonant (i could be wrong, but i dont think i am)

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey buddy, now I see ya!!

I also noticed this resoncance just very very slightly with my Les Paul. I think the Soloist actually has better sustain qualities than the Les, so it could be all about that, or the maple, or the etc etc etc.

Okay, I'll quit overthinking this axe and just play it already!

It is by far the most "solid" axe I've ever held. It's like a rock.

Comment

ok Jammer...run elastic band through the tube created by the coiling of the spring,put slight tension on the elastic by stretching the ends past eachother and fasten them together.you have to leave enough stretch in the elastic to go with the springs,and this also helps eleviate and superfulous spring noises...

Comment

Stevie, that sounds like a great idea! Thanks

Comment

glad to help

Comment

Jeez, that's what I just said a few posts up.

Comment

Working...
                              X