Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie Custom Shop questions

Greetz,

This is my first post here so I’ll start by introducing myself. My name is CJ and I’m a confirmed guitaraholic. I’ve been playing guitar for twenty years and my top three favorite makes are (in no particular order) BC Rich (The original hand-made ones from 1974 to 1985) and any USA Charvel / Jackson.

I’m seriously considering having Jackson’s custom shop build my next guitar and I’d like to get a couple of questions answered by the experts here. First of all, does anyone know where Jackson’s mahogany comes from, Africa or Honduras? Second, I’ve never played a USA Kelly N/T and I’m curious as to how well they balance. Are they neck-heavy or do they balance well standing up? Also, I did try a search on this topic but nothing came up. Thanks in advance for you help!!

Cheers,

CJ

Re: newbie Custom Shop questions

Can´t help you, but
    WELCOME
    [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Not sure where they get the wood from. I have a USA Kelly and it is a little nose heavy, but I use nylon straps. A leather strap would solve this no problem.

TIP: A friend of mine had a guitar that was nose heavy and he liked the nylon straps too. His cure? Spread some blue gasket maker on the part of the strap that went over his shoulder. When it dried it was tacky enough to prevent nose dive.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

If you get a Floyded Kelly, you can mount the rear strap pin in the top rear trem cavity cover screw hole and it'll tilt the nose up, as well as make the guitar hang farther towards your picking hand like a Strat or LP.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

About having Mahogany, what I did with my custom shop order was requesting heavy Mahogany because I prefer heavy guitar and some Mahogany guitars I had were very light and some were heavy.
          They are all different.
          So My custom shop Star(Mahogany neck and body), I asked them to use heavier Mahogany wood.

It also goes to wood like Alder.
          There are heavy Alder and Light Alder.
          If you order a guitar with Suhr,you get to choose super light Alder or heavy Alder.
          I hada Heavy Alder and yes it was pretty heavy for being Alder.

About balance of Mahogany neck/body guitar, I had a Y2KV and it was great.

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Can´t help you, but
              WELCOME
              [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
              +1
              Good deals with:
              Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

go and get a king kelly (kingsized=almost explorerdimensions)
                they´re not neck heavy (standard small ones are)
                cheers

Comment

Thanks to everyone for you replies & greetings!! I'm torn between a King Kelly and a more traditional star; those are my two "Dream Jacksons". I can only get one custom shop Jackson right now though as I'm also planning on having a custom guitar design built by Neal Moser at MCS in the near future. Ah, decisions, decisions....

Cheers,

CJ

Comment

Welcome!
                    Good question on the mahonagy I hadn't thought about that. I have a Hamer made from Honduras mahogany although it is light it has a very warm tone.
                    I did a search trying to find an answer for you and found some thing funny. I found the same thing on several websites.

SL2H-MAH funny Item Specs
                    Just one more guitar!

Comment

Working...
                    X