Let's discuss Soloist pinch harmonic issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's discuss Soloist pinch harmonic issues

New here. I tell you I love my Soloist, it's rock solid, sounds great, plays great, looks great, and is very well put together. However, I would be lying if I said I was always completely satisfied with it.

Part of my playing style involves the pinch harmonic, and for the year and a half or so that I've owned my Soloist, the pinches have been hard to come by. My other two axes, a Japanese Dinky and a Les Paul can squeal like a mother with little effort, but not so with my Soloist. I went through every pickup I could think of, amp setting, you name it.

Well, just the other day I was puzzling over it some more and stumbled onto a technique thing that seems to have helped. I normally "dig in" when doing the pinch, but after just fooling around, I noticed that this Soloist seems to want a very gentle touch. So, I just started to barely brush my pinky along after the stroke, barely touching the string. Once I quit digging in, the harmonics seemed to open up much much more. I have also noticed that the "sweet spots", of which mine has about 3, are small target areas compared to my other axes.

Anyway, just yakkin' Anyone else ever run into this with their neck-thru soloists?

Zerb, if you're out there, yeah it's me.

-Matt

Re: Let\'s discuss Soloist pinch harmonic issues

no, but pinch harmonics have always come hard for me, especially on the thicker strings. i like to dig in deep with my thumb as well, maybe i should try lightening up. I love getting the deep squeals that zakk wylde does all the time!

Comment

Light touch. You shouldn't have to dig in... it's all just a matter of muting the string as your picking it and letting the harmonic from your picking hand ring out. Guitars all hang differently relative to your playing hand position, and sometimes when you're used to one axe, you need to adjust to hit the same spot on the string on a different axe, as your hand will sweep over the strings at a slightly different angle.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I don't seem to have any problems with either of my soloist. That said. I've noticed that I've always got the best results with maple necks when it comes to pinch harmonics. Must be the density of the wood or something. Ebony is pretty decent also, but rosewood is horrible in my opinion. I think it has to do with its porus texture. Someone else also mentioned that the "sweet spots" are different from guitar to guitar. This is definitely true!
        Good deals with:
        Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

+1 I also noticed that my maple bolt on necks seem to have hot spots all over the place. Harmonics jump out at you from all over the place.
          I have to be a lot more precise with my SL2H.
          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I too dig in when I play, and noticed just yesterday that the harmonics don't come as easily for me on my Soloist as on a Dinky or other bolt-on guitar.
            sigpic

Comment

The weight of the wood on some of the Soloists seems to be a bit lighter than other solid alder wood guitars. I wonder if the weight and/or density has something to do with the pinch harmonics resonating... Are we all using Floyds here? Any string-thru Soloists?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Light touch. You shouldn't have to dig in...

[/ QUOTE ]
                Yep agreed and this is so true.
                Just lighten up and never dig in to produce a pinched harmonic. On all well crafted guitar with quality hardware and wood, harmonics normally come very easy. Your Soloist is that type of guitar it will squeal nicely once you get it down.
                Before Zakk was heard of, Lynch was the squealer.
                Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

I have the same trouble, but on all my guitars...
                  oh wait thats because I suck [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

Yes I've noticed this same problem. I changed my bridge pickups to Duncan Distortions hoping that would help (it didn't). I've found that the location you hold the pick is much more critical with Soloists in order to get a good squeal.

I have an old Kramer and an ESP Lynch and they are both way easier to get good pinch harmonics on. But I still prefer the way my (three) Soloists feel overall.

Comment

I had a soloist and noticed the same thing.

I was able to get the harmonics after a while but I would say it is definitely harder on a soloist compared the my PC1 or Hamer Californian or Ibanez Jem.

Of course these other guitars are bolt ons and I find also that it is easier to get the squeals with bolt on guitars.

Maybe its the neck through consruction that makes it more difficult for some reason?
                      PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I can get squeals out of my Soloist, but it's indeed a bit harder. I'll gladly take this little problem though, because Soloists play so well on all other aspects.
                        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          no, but pinch harmonics have always come hard for me, especially on the thicker strings. i like to dig in deep with my thumb as well, maybe i should try lightening up. I love getting the deep squeals that zakk wylde does all the time!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is sort of bonus with this light touch/neck through thing. The harmonics I do get have more of a compressed-sounding deep singing Zakk Wylde feel to them, as opposed to the raging mulit-tone harmonics that you would hear from Lynch. Not better or worse, just different. Almost like it had EMGs in it.

More research necessary.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]
                            Light touch. You shouldn't have to dig in...

[/ QUOTE ]
                            Before Zakk was heard of, Lynch was the squealer.

[/ QUOTE ]

True true!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Yes I've noticed this same problem. I changed my bridge pickups to Duncan Distortions hoping that would help (it didn't). I've found that the location you hold the pick is much more critical with Soloists in order to get a good squeal.

I have an old Kramer and an ESP Lynch and they are both way easier to get good pinch harmonics on. But I still prefer the way my (three) Soloists feel overall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Like I mentioned, I get about 3 target zones per string. Just south(toward the headstock) of the neck bucker, just south of the mid single coil, and directly over the neck single coil. The sound is deeper the farther south you go - ha - get it?

Comment

Working...
                              X