SL2 - Soloist XL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL2 - Soloist XL

I've just stumbled on this Soloist SL2 (also called XL), if I'm correct in identifying:</p>

</p>

I know they were built around 96-98, but I don't now if they are very hard to find, neither how many approx. were manufactured.</p>

Since it's outside Ebay, the guy is open for any reasonable offer, so what do ya think? (It comes with the OHSC)</p>

Re: SL2 - Soloist XL

I´ve never heard the SL2 called XL. The XL denomination was used on imports only, as far as I know.

They weren´t a top seller, since they made them for just a couple of years, but I wouldn´t call them rare. They pop up from time to time. I´d guess the yellow ones are the rarest of the bunch, with the black and red ones being the most common.

Comment

XL is always Professional series (imports). Always. Period. Forever and ever.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        XL is always Professional series (imports). Always. Period. Forever and ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
        thx for setting this straight [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img], some of 3rd party references (eg. blue book of e-guitars) seems to indicate that XL and USA were used synonymous for certain series, very confusing [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
        So it's just a US SL2 then.

Comment

Yep.... SL2.

Comment

That's why we never go by what the Blue Book says [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
            Just kidding, but there really are quite a few inaccuracies in that book from what I've seen and heard.

Anyhoo, the Jackson models break down roughly like this:

-Prior to 1990: Jackson made whatever, whenever, and didn't really have a "set standard model", but rather would put out various models with various features - you'd find a Soloist with H-S-S and a Kahler made just before the exact same guitar with a Floyd, etc.

-1990: Start of actual Production Models, both USA and Import. These were standardized models with no variations in core specs. The USA-made models were dubbed "modelname USA" (example: Rhoads USA, Soloist USA, etc) and the Japanese-made Professional Series models were "modelname Professional" or "modelname Pro" (example: Rhoads Professional or Rhoads Pro). The Professional Series models made from 1990-94 were equal to their USA-made counterparts in materials, build quality, and construction, and were outselling the USA models.

-About 1994/95: Since the 1990-94 models were eating USA sales, the Professional models were "toned down" a bit and split into two main lines - Standard (Std) and XL. The Standards usually had rosewood fretboards and dot inlays and no binding on the head and neck, and the XL models had ebony boards and MOP sharkfins with bound heads and necks.

-1995 to Present: The Standard models were gradually phased into the Concept and finally the Performer and other lines, and the XLs lost their ebony fretboards and Mother Of Pearl inlays and became the only Professional Series models, most of them retaining their sharkfin inlays and binding, though there were a few with dot inlays and no binding. Some even got maple fretboards, which the other "lesser" lines didn't get. The MG and recent X models have been moving back and forth between what could be considered the early-mid-90's "XL" and "Std" series' - some getting ebony boards and neckthrough upgrades (SLSMG, etc) as well as model-specific inlays (Piranhas on the XT and some MG models, but not others).
            The USA and Pro models received their "numbers" sometime in the mid-late 90s (example: SL1, SL2, RR1, KV1, KE3, etc etc), and only the USA and Pro models got numbers in their names. The "numbered" Pros are the highest-level Pros (RR5, DK2, RR3, etc).
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

the only X i know in a USA Soloist would be :
              SL2GX (20 piece small ltd batch)
              but they had quilt tops AFAIK

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                the only X i know in a USA Soloist would be :
                SL2GX (20 piece small ltd batch)
                but they had quilt tops AFAIK

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, and the "GX" is for "GuitarXpress".

The price on the SL2 (and DR2, RR2, etc.) seems to fluctuate a lot, since they are USA models but without a lot of the typical USA features. I have one of each model from that line and love them. I've seen prices anywhere from $400 to a grand.
                sigpic

Comment

That's mine. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And it's on hold for a fellow JCF'er (Iced Dragon). He's supposed to be picking it up anytime now.

((Those are Jabez's original pics, btw, it's still like that.))
                  You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Re: SL2

[ QUOTE ]
                    That's mine. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And it's on hold for a fellow JCF'er (Iced Dragon). He's supposed to be picking it up anytime now.

((Those are Jabez's original pics, btw, it's still like that.))

[/ QUOTE ]
                    So Ward you're also a member here?[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                    And how many are here from Belgium anyway?

Anyway I've seen there are 2 of them actual for sale on Ebay:[1st][2nd]

This will give a good idea about the current market value I suppose

and Newc, thx for the info, maybe you should think about writing a blue book of Jackson guitars, I certainly would want one [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

My price is for the European market, not the American used market, btw.

Comment

of course, no prob for me in making some money!
                        anyway, where are you from/what do you do exactly? Send me a PM otherwise, who knows where we can help each other out? [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] en zoniet, even goeie vrienden!

Comment

Definitly man. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

-1990: Start of actual Production Models, both USA and Import. These were standardized models with no variations in core specs. The USA-made models were dubbed "modelname USA" (example: Rhoads USA, Soloist USA, etc) and the Japanese-made Professional Series models were "modelname Professional" or "modelname Pro" (example: Rhoads Professional or Rhoads Pro). The Professional Series models made from 1990-94 were equal to their USA-made counterparts in materials, build quality, and construction, and were outselling the USA models.

-About 1994/95: Since the 1990-94 models were eating USA sales, the Professional models were "toned down" a bit and split into two main lines - Standard (Std) and XL. The Standards usually had rosewood fretboards and dot inlays and no binding on the head and neck, and the XL models had ebony boards and MOP sharkfins with bound heads and necks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, it's not quite that straightforward, especially with the import Soloists. Here's the various ones that I know of:

"Soloist Pro"--1990-95. Exact imitation of the USA Soloist, with ebony board, MOP fins, Schaller Floyd, metal backplates, etc.

"Soloist XL"--1992-95. Similar to the Pro, but with rosewood board, plastic backplates, and lacking the active electronics, also. Later ones may have also had the cheapo JT-580 trem, but I'm not sure about that. This model replaced the Charvel 650xl when J/C retired most of the Charvel import line after 1991.

"Soloist Std."--1992-95. This was a cheaper version of the XL, with dot inlays, no neck binding, and the JT-580 trem.

"SL3"--1996?-present. Basically the successor to the XL, but with unbound neck, plastic inlays, and JT-580 trem. A downgrade, in other words.

"SL4"--199?-200?. dual humbucker, 22-fret variation on the SL3. Only made for a few years.

Note: all of the pre-1996 import Soloists said "Professional" on the headstock, as the "Professional Series" included all import Jacksons at that time, not just the top of the line "Pro" models. Confusing, huh?

Comment

Do the SL-2 have an OFR trem?

Comment

Working...
                              X