Broken SLATQH necks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken SLATQH necks

I received an SLATQH last week that I bought on the bay. It arrived with the headstock broken completely off. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] I know this has happened many times before with this model, because of the neck angle, I assume. I was wondering if it was happening in the SKB cases or the G&G cases. The one I just received was in a SKB case, but maybe they have had them re-molded now that they have the string thru models available in production. Anybody here have one broken before?

Re: Broken SLATQH necks

I have seen this happening with G&G cases.
    At least 3 times on JCF alone.
    It sucks everytime I hear this especially on SLATQs since they are discontinued models and hard to replace them....

Comment

There have been several cracked and/or broken SLATQ's here. I had one that was damaged in a G&G case. The sad thing is, these were IMHO the best "production" guitar Jackson ever released (now they are out of production). I had an old black Jackson chainsaw case that fit a SLATQ perfectly... Not sure why Jackson never used those for the SLATQ's.

My replacement was ordered, then a deal was worked out between Matt & KE to get me a fast replacement. Then my original factory replacement was bought by another forum member who got a damaged neck when theirs arrived.
      >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

Those things never happen because of a specific neck angle or a specific brand of case. Those things happen because some people just don't know how to pack a guitar to ensure the safe arrival of it. Here is a good tutorial on guitar packing:
        http://mcs.acidpit.org/viewtopic.php?t=3096

Comment

Which one was it? THis happened to me although it wasn't that bad. It was finish cracking, not a complete severed head. Mine was in a G&G. I've also got one on the way. I hope it makes the trip. I've never heard of it happening in an ABS case though. I agree on the packing issue. SLATQH's need extra packing inside the case.
          "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

that really sucks! i'm getting increasingly cautious about sending/recieving guitars as i hear more and more cases of them getting damaged. it pisses me off so much that shipping companies dont take as much care as they should. just because somethings insured doesn't mean it can be easily replaced, they need to realise that. who was it sent with? claming on insurance can be a real pain in the ass, good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the info. I also have one on the way now, although not yet in transit, and it's in a G&G case. I don't like that one bit. After the initial shock of opening the case, I did put the head stock back "on" and it seemed like the tip of the headstock was touching the bottom of the case without the neck sitting on the support.

Comment

It was sent by FedEx express. The worst part about the claim is they will only deal with the shipper. So I'm out the money while he works it out with FedEx, but what is the shippers motivation to expidite the process when he is already paid?

Comment

damn...
                  man I hope you can at least work something out with the seller...

sorry to hear about your misfortune [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    it seemed like the tip of the headstock was touching the bottom of the case without the neck sitting on the support.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is exactly the problem. There is an "insert" in the case (square foam block) that doesnt keep the guitar from sliding forward. By the time the upper horn hits the cross support, the HS is jammed into the corner. The guitar can freely slide back & forth for 2 or 3 inches. It's a bad choice of case for that style of guitar IMO.
                    >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Those things never happen because of a specific neck angle or a specific brand of case. Those things happen because some people just don't know how to pack a guitar to ensure the safe arrival of it. Here is a good tutorial on guitar packing:
                      http://mcs.acidpit.org/viewtopic.php?t=3096

[/ QUOTE ]

While the tutorial and the MCS Forum are great, I disagree 100% with the first statement.

If the case does´t fit properly, it´s asking for trouble to ship a guitar in it, the G&Gs in particular had the problem that the headstock tip touched before the neck hit the rest, putting all the stress of a fall on the headstock itself.

I´m pretty sure that Jackson even went so far as to stop shipping SLATQHs in G&G Cases, the issue just wasn´t there with the SKBs [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

That may have been why they stopped production. Jackson puts a guitar in a case and then in a box and then on a truck. I've received guitars in factory packaging and lemme tell ya, it's minimal. The two JCF guitars were packed with considerably less effort than most "players" (i.e. you and me) put into it: JCF01 was in the factory box with one 12" wide piece of bubblewrap around the center of the case (to protect the handle?), but JCF02 was packed slightly better. Nothing actually IN the case as far as I recall, but at least the case was wrapped a bit better.

I've shipped guitars in cases that were wrapped only in heavy duty shipping paper (about as thick as a good paper grocery sack) but the guitar in the case was padded like there was no tomorrow - even a bass all the way to Tokyo - and they got there with no trouble. I've received guitars where the box was loaded with padding but the case didn't have anything in it but the guitar, and the guitar was damaged.

I've also received guitars in cases inside boxes where neither were padded and the guitar was just fine.

I wish now I woulda videotaped or at least photographed the way my Jazz'R I got from YAO was packed: heavy duty shipping carton, block-cut eggcrate-style foam rubber in the sides of the box, the case wrapped in a triple layer of big-bubble bubblewrap with a thick piece of foam rubber on the bottom, and the rest of the carton packed with more bubblewrap.
                        The inside of the case was also bubblewrapped. It took about 5 minutes or more to unpack it.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

][ QUOTE ]
                          ....Jackson puts a guitar in a case and then in a box and then on a truck. I've received guitars in factory packaging and lemme tell ya, it's minimal. The two JCF guitars were packed with considerably less effort than most "players" (i.e. you and me) put into it: ....

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that´s definitely also a factor..I don´t know any company that packs their guitars to withstand nukes, but many of the axes I´ve bought from private people (and all that I send myself) were....Just ask Igorin how long he needed to unpack his Fusion (although I think he actually set a new record because he had no plans for reusing the boxes, just under 10 minutes IIRC) [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Then again, My Model 6 went through half of Europe in nothing more than a gigbag, I still can´t believe she got here in 1 piece [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

I ordered a King V with Blue G Flames and when it came in from the other store, I had a broken neck, they even asked me if I still wanted it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              ]I don´t know any company that packs their guitars to withstand nukes, but many of the axes I´ve bought from private people (and all that I send myself) were....

[/ QUOTE ]
                              The reason is Jackson can afford to ship a damaged guitar or two. I can't [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X