Jazz'R review with pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jazz'R review with pics

USA Jackson Jazz'R in Amber Lager Burst.

Specs:
    <ul type="square"> [*]BODY Quartersawn Spruce with Big Leaf Quilt Maple Top and Back [*]NECK Neck-Thru-Body Quartersawn Honduran Mahogany with Graphite Reinforcing Rods [*]NECK DIMENSIONS 3rd Fret: .910”, 12th Fret: .950” [*]TUNING MACHINES Pearloid Buttoned Sperzel® Locking Tuners [*]FINGERBOARD Streaked Ebony [*]NO. OF FRETS 22 Dunlop® 6230 Vintage Style Frets [*]BRIDGE PICKUP Seymour Duncan® ‘59™ Humbucker [*]NECK PICKUP Seymour Duncan® SH2N Jazz™ Humbucker [*]CONTROLS Master Volume, Tone (Bridge Pickup), Tone (Neck Pickup) [*]BRIDGE JT390 Adjustable Bridge with Strings-Through-Body [*]PICKUP SWITCHING 3-Position Toggle:[*]Position 1. Bridge Pickup [*]Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups [*]Position 3. Neck Pickup [*]HARDWARE Nickel/Chrome [*]CASE Deluxe Hardshell Case [*]SCALE LENGTH 25” [*]WIDTH AT NUT 1-11/16” [*]UNIQUE FEATURES Mother of Pearl Dot Position Inlays, Oil finish neck, 3-Over/3-Under Headstock with Bookmatched Ebony Overlay, Inlaid Mother of Pearl “J” on Headstock, 10” to 12” Compound Fingerboard Radius, Maple Binding on Top and Back, Q Parts® Knurled Chrome Knobs with Mother of Pearl Inlays, Bone Nut, CTS® Pots and Switchcraft® Switches [/list]

Pics:

Details:

This guitar kicks ass. Period. End of review. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously, the acoustic tone (LOUD!!) is beautiful, as is the amplified tone. The Jazz pickup in the neck suits this guitar more than any other I've had one in, including a Les Paul Custom (though that was in the middle, but still...).
    The 59 in the bridge position adds just enough Rock tone to let this thing work for AC/DC and similar Classic Rock/Blues-type stuff, but probably won't work for Maiden, Priest, Ozzy, or Sabbath.

Action is nice and low with minimal buzz, and slight plinking on the 1st and 2nd strings higher up the neck (easily fixed without killing the action).

The craftsmanship on this thing is amazing - no dyed fretboard here, and no bad frets.
    Mother Of Pearl sidemarkers that sparkle like the fretboard, headstock, and knob inlays.
    Natural wood trussrod cover.
    Beautiful Quilted top - would love to see it in Green, Chlorine, or Red.
    Natural binding on front and back edges of the body (sides only, not the top).
    Arched top and back (not as high as a Les Paul)

It's interesting that they stamp the serial (and the YEAR!!) in the edge of the head instead of on the board or the back of the head.
    The year stamp is definitely a welcome sight, and I for one hope they do it that way for all USA models from now on [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The playability is excellent. The neck profile is a hard V-shape. If you've never seen a V-shaped neck profile (like me, until I got this one), it looks like this: v
    That's why they call it a V-shape.
    At first I thought it was going to interfere with fretting and be like holding something in your palm while trying to play, but it's not. It took me literally 5 seconds to get used to it.
    The only thing I'd change about the profile is to do a more rounded one at the first 5 frets and gradually change it to the V-shape, as it does feel a bit funny doing chords. It doesn't impair chording, it just feels out-of-place at the first few frets, but it's barely noticeable as you move up the neck.

The longer scale and wider nut give it a different feel than a Les Paul, and switching directly from one to the other in one practice/jam/rehearsal/gig takes some getting used to.

The guitar itself is much lighter than an LP - lighter than a Soloist as well, but not "acoustic" light. It's also wider than an LP.

Even the case is beautiful, and perfectly matched to the guitar - classic brown alligator exterior with a "Beer Poodle" interior (color scheme matches the guitar).

Definitely a Modern Classic, and worth picking up if you run across one.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: Jazz\'R review with pics

That thing looks amazing, the top is so deep! Interesting to see the comparison vs an LP! Thanks for the review!

NOW, STEP AWAY FROM THE DRILL!
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Nice review!

Congrats on the guitar!
      http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Great review, bro. Congrats!

Comment

Great Review, Thanks Newc.

So, what Krylon experiment is this one destined for? Versatel Jazz´r? Jazzikaze? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

That thing is going to kick ass once you're done doing the Zakk bullseye paint job from your new book. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Nice guitar. Can't wait to see what it looks like Halfordized!

Comment

need more pics!!

That thing is gonna look BOSS with a PC3 neck & elliptical Ojeda bullseye on it! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                Hail yesterday

Comment

It's getting a KAHLER! Not the GOOD one, but that crapass 2-point thing that looks like a lump of charcoal with a bar in it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Beautiful guitar, let the hacking begin! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

That's a beutiful looking guitar. I would love to have one, just to play Jazz on [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                      93 USA Soloist EDS
                      USA HT6 Juggernaut
                      Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Hey, Newc, it's a good thing there's no cavity covers on the back of these so you can't get to the electronics easily!. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Have we figured out how they did that yet?!? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Take a pic of the back.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Very sharp looking, thanks for the pictures and review.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Have we figured out how they did that yet?!? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The body is chambered with the only real substance being the center block where the pups & bridge are mounted. The top & back are 1/8" thick, there's literally nothing to attach a cavity cover to.
                            Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

What a beautiful top. It looks like it is on fire!
                              Good deals with:
                              Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

Working...
                              X