Had to Increase Maple Top Width on Custom Order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had to Increase Maple Top Width on Custom Order

I have a Custom Demon on order (reverse body style to be specific). Maple Top/Mahagony Back.

Due to the scalloped or bevelled horns on the body Jackson contacted my dealer back and recommended that instead of a 1/8" Maple Top it would be better to go with a 3/4" Maple Top.

Apparently due to the body contruction an 1/8" Top would not cover the part of the horns that were trimmed back to allow upper fret access so you would see Mahagony on the front of the guitar instead of the all Maple Top.

Aesthetically (or however you spell the word) speaking the 3/4" would allow the maple to cover the entire front of the guitar and not leave any mahagony exposed.

Hope it is not too bright but I should be able to compensate with pups I am thinking just in case.

Anyone else know of any guitars with a 3/4" Maple Top?
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Re: Had to Increase Maple Top Width on Custom Order

Should be cool and not too bright with the mahogany. Hamer uses a 3/8" maple top. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Nothing wrong with a little exposed mahogany on the top IMO.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Re: Had to Increase Maple Top Width on Custom Orde

[ QUOTE ]
        Nothing wrong with a little exposed mahogany on the top IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 I would, personally, ask them to make the transition smooth and clean, so the mahogany connects up good. Instead of being an aestethic horror, it might be pure aesthetic heaven!
        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I have a Custom Demon on order (reverse body style to be specific). Maple Top/Mahagony Back.

Due to the scalloped or bevelled horns on the body Jackson contacted my dealer back and recommended that instead of a 1/8" Maple Top it would be better to go with a 3/4" Maple Top.

Apparently due to the body contruction an 1/8" Top would not cover the part of the horns that were trimmed back to allow upper fret access so you would see Mahagony on the front of the guitar instead of the all Maple Top.

Aesthetically (or however you spell the word) speaking the 3/4" would allow the maple to cover the entire front of the guitar and not leave any mahagony exposed.

Hope it is not too bright but I should be able to compensate with pups I am thinking just in case.

Anyone else know of any guitars with a 3/4" Maple Top?

[/ QUOTE ]
          A couple of the Swee-tones had that thickness of a maple top.
          Occupy JCF

Comment

I've got a custom XTRR on order which will have a 3/4" top for the same reason. Hopefully it will look right and sound bitching (maple neck thru, mahogany wings and quilt top)
            Popular is not the same as good
            Rare is not the same as valuable
            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

All the trans-topped Archtops have 3/4" tops for this reason.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Thicker tops usually look better to me and it should suit the bevels of that body better. USA BC Rich's have thick maple tops w/ mahogany backs too and most don't sound too bright. What color will the Demon be?
                Looking for un-molested slant fretboard early USA & Pro Warriors!

Comment

I would not worry about it being too bright. My Weddington has a 3/4" top, and it's very beefy sounding.
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

The SLATQ's have a 3/4 top...They sound KILLER.
                    >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

My CS Dinky archtop has a 3/4 top.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

The AT Pros and the 750XL both have 3/4 tops also and are not bright at all , even with the maple neck.
                        Mike
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Thicker tops usually look better to me and it should suit the bevels of that body better. USA BC Rich's have thick maple tops w/ mahogany backs too and most don't sound too bright. What color will the Demon be?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Demon will be Tiger Burst Burnt Orange and Brown flamed top with Shaded Edges around the edges of the body and headstock.

Got the idea from a paint job on the Tom Anderson site - one of his Cobras was pained with similar colors.
                          PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I've got a custom XTRR on order which will have a 3/4" top for the same reason. Hopefully it will look right and sound bitching (maple neck thru, mahogany wings and quilt top)

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. That probably will be the construction of my next and final Custom Jackson - One bolt on now and then a neck through later on.
                            PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

i wouldnt worry about it, ive got a few solid maple guitars. they arent as bright as you would think.

Comment

Working...
                              X