Greetings and Rule No. 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings and Rule No. 1

Just wanted to say hello to everyone on this great board. Lots of good info, good guitars, and good music from what I've seen and heard so far! I've been a Jackson owner for about 12 or 13 years now. My first and current Jackson is a USA Fusion. In the grand tradition of "Rule Number 1" here are some pics.

I bought this one used in, I think '92 or '93. My memory is fuzzy, but I think I paid the previous owner about $700. As you can see, I've customized it a little. Pickups are EMG 85/SA/SA. I also got rid of the Jackson active electronics (JE-1500 System?) and had the EMG preamp/booster put in. Knobs are the soft rubber "Knobease" that allow me to have better gripping power and allow for quick knob adjustments; I just kept slipping on the original knobs. I recently added a Hipshot Tremsetter. I needed some tuning stability because I like to go back and forth between standard tuning and drop D. Not quite sure if I like that Tremsetter yet, though. Actually, I'm tuned down a whole step (DGCFAD) and therefore need to use heavier strings (D'Addario EXL-140's: 10 13 17 30 42 52). Serial number is 000692, so I believe that makes it a 1990 model.

In the past I have also owned a Jackson Professional Dinky Reverse. Pretty sweet guitar. It had a dark purple finish and a maple fretboard with, of course, the reverse headstock. I also put EMG's in that, 81 in the bridge and 85 in the neck. I sold that guitar to a friend... The Fusion spoiled me and the Dinky Pro just did not live up to that standard. Plus it had the longer scale length which I was not used to at the time, especially with the heavier gauge strings!

I've learned a lot here so far and I have a ton of questions for you guys, but let me start with just a few:

Does anyone know the detailed technical specifications on the USA Fusions? I'm especially interested in detailed neck measurements.
    Did they make the USA Fusions with other pickup combinations like H/H?
    Is scale-length determined by the neck, body, or a combination of both? For example, can I buy just a neck with a short scale length or does the body you connect it to matter?

Thanks!

.j.

Re: Greetings and Rule No. 1

Welcome to the board and that's a great introductory post [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Great Fusion as well - I had a 1990 USA Soloist in that same finish (which is called Coral Sea, in case you were wondering - that's what EDS was before they swirled it)

Anyhoo, on the question of the body/neck determining scale, some say it's both, others say it's just one or the other. Some say they've gotten one neck to intonate on another body, others say they haven't.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

i am also interested in finding out if there is a HxH USA fusion, and how the neck profile is copared to other jacksons (sl2h, dk1, rr)

chris

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Great Fusion as well - I had a 1990 USA Soloist in that same finish (which is called Coral Sea, in case you were wondering - that's what EDS was before they swirled it)

[/ QUOTE ]

Coral Sea? Dang, I thought it was Eerie Dess all these years! I feel so used...

.j.

Comment

Welcome! Great guitar, always loved the 80's feel on Coral Sea!
          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            i am also interested in finding out if there is a HxH USA fusion, and how the neck profile is copared to other jacksons (sl2h, dk1, rr)

chris

[/ QUOTE ]
            like the black one on the right? Nope, they never made one. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Hail yesterday

Comment

Very nice, Fusion. And welcome. You will find a wealth of knowledge here. But I'm sure you already knew that.

I was always told that the short scale requires both a special neck and body routes to intonate properly. Then of course there's Warmoth who makes 25.5" scale ready bodies with 24.75" conversion necks that drop right in. So who knows? No Jackson never made a H/H USA Fusion, only a Professional series, which is just as good. As far as the detailed neck specs, I can't really help you there. I've just always heard that the necks were thin.

Comment

Welcome. And nice coral sea you got there.

Comment

I love that finish. Welcome to the board! say goodbye to your social life!

Comment

Welcome. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Very nice axe you have there.
                    Scott
                    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Welcome aboard [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Welcome to the JCF! Very nice guitar. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                        Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Is scale-length determined by the neck, body, or a combination of both? For example, can I buy just a neck with a short scale length or does the body you connect it to matter?

[/ QUOTE ]

A combination, actually. It's the distance between the nut and the bridge saddles. Which is why you usually can't just buy a short-scale neck and put it on a regular Jackson body. However, the only thing that's different on a short-scale body is the placement of the bridge (usually closer to the 'horns' end than on a long-scale). You could theoretically use any Jackson body with any neck, including a Fusion neck, if you were willing to move the bridge around--which is very difficult on a guitar with a Floyd.

Comment

Great introductory post. And nice guitar! Welcome to the JCF.

Comment

Welcome aboard. Love that finish, and I am a new Fusion lover as well. Great axe! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X