Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Neck Questions

Hi,

Is there a difference between Jackson necks on the bolt-on DK-1 versus the neck throughs? Same radius, same back shape, etc? How about the new Charvel bolt-ons and the new Jackson neck throughs? Other than 22 versus 24 frets, are they the same specs?

Thanks in advance!
    -MArk

Re: Jackson Neck Questions

The specs say there is a difference of .040" inches at the 3rd and 12th frets. I have a DK1 and Soloist and the soloist is definately thicker. I think the paint and gloss also add some dimension to it. I think the back shapes are the same. The DK1 also has an oiled neck which feels totally different than the painted necks. I like the DK1 neck over the soloist but the soloist has a better heel for upper fret access.
    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

I also have a soloist SL1 and a DK1. You can definitely feel the difference. I had my soloist neck finish stripped off to the wood and oiled the neck. Even after that, the soloist neck is noticeably thicker. I love both guitars, but I find the DK1 neck, being a little bit wider and thinner, is more comfortable for me.
      Jackson: DK1
      Charvel: CS (CSB), SD (RGF), SD (Bullseye), SD '83 (HRF)

Comment

Got it. Thanks for your informative replies. I didn't really like the DK1 I tried, but am interested in a neck through. It sounds like the neck through is the way to go.

-Mark

Comment

I'll chime in and agree that there is a difference. The soloist necks are thicker, though in my case I prefer them as opposed to the dinky bolt-on necks. But they are not Les Paul thick by any stretch of the imagination, nor even Schecter thick.

Comment

Of the bolt on necks, is the Fusion the thinnest?

Comment

Yes and no....Profile can vary a bit because the USA Necks are done by hand for the most part IIRC.

Most seem to say that Fusions are some of the thinnest profiles around...but My ´90 USA Fusion is thicker than my ´96 DK-1 by a bit [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

This would be a Japanese Professional with MOP Jackson Logo, bound ebony fretboard, and MOP Sharyfin inlays. I love how thin it is. I guess any other neck would be a step up in thickness.

Comment

Don, I too have a Fusion Pro, like your neck. The Pros were thinner in profile than the USA's. My cherry sunburst Pro is so slim in comparison to any of my USA Fusions. But I also have a 1989 Dinky which beats even that one.

Once the USA Production line came along, the idea for the bolt on Dinky was to create the same guitar as a Soloist but with the detachable neck. In other words, the difference in these necks is so slight you really cannot tell the difference. People here will argue that you can. I wish my hands were sensitive enough to differentiate .04 mm of thickness! If so, boy, I'd spend all day at home in bed playing with my...uh...nevermind.
                  "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                  Gotta get away from here.
                  Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                  Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I have a dk1 and an sl2h and even though it sounds like a little bit of difference in thickness there is a major difference in feel. I didn't think there would be either but play them both side by side and you'll be putting down that sl2h. Also if you stand them up next to each other the sl2h is about a 1/4 inch taller too.

Comment

Working...
                    X