Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoration tips please

recently bought this worn and beaten guitar serial #307424
    info on the origin of this guitar and tips on how to restore it are very welcome thanx.

Re: Restoration tips please

I'm too much a newby. I can see the scalloped fretboard. The area of the body where teh neck boalts on seems very thin.

Comment

Wow, that's a...unique...place for the control cavity cover...

Comment

That looks like a bastardised mid 90's dinky reverse to me (with an added Duncan)

It depends on what's lurking underneath, but the first thing I'd do if remove the control cover from the front...

If the finish is OK and to your tastes, and there's nothing horrible behind the cover, you could plug the extra screw holes on the front and gently burn the area around it with a heat gun to blend them in (it'll match the scorching on the rest of the guitar).

It depends what you're looking to end up with, but that way I see it is that it's either that, going for a natural finish all over or paying for a complete respray, which I'd say wasn't worth it on that guitar.....
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

re: origin - it's Japanese
          Hail yesterday

Comment

You're going to spend more to restore it than it's worth.
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              You're going to spend more to restore it than it's worth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.

What I´d do instead of restoring her: I´d remove all the hardware and set the whole thing on fire, then put it back together. At least "Burnt" finished don´t cost much cash [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanx for your replies, i'm a bit of a newby when it comes to jackson guitars,so sorry for posting a japanese in the usa forum [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Think i'll just fix the obvious things, and make some custom cover to replace the control cover on the front cause there really is quite a big hole underneath it haha.

Always good to have a spare guitar for strange tunings etc.

But for now i will focus again on my DXMG and dream of one day ordering my own custom shop Jackson [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

there was a thread here a while back where a front-loaded (with pickguard) Fernandes Rhoads was converted into a rear-loaded one. There were loads of pics documenting the process too. So it is possible to fill the hole in the front of your guitar. It would take a lot of work, but if you wanted to make a project out of this guitar, you could do it.
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Thanx, i'll search the forum for that.

Comment

Here you go http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...page=13#101116
                      Mike
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

WTF [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                        X