A Weird Custom Shop question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Weird Custom Shop question

And this might sound weird, but, every time i hear things about custom shops (not just Jackson's), their guys say how they built your "one of a kind" instrument.

Well, what happens if you order something, exactly like someone else already has? I mean, sure, the possibilities of all those beautiful options may cause no one to built another "replica" of someone else's guitar, but has anyone heard of this?

and if you order something like someone else's guitar, will the custom shop guys turn you down? Or is the "one of a kind" thing either = something they just say OR something just hasn't been done as of yet?

sorry if this was a dumb question, but its been a fun one lingering in the depths of the space in my brain.

Re: A Weird Custom Shop question

I've often wondered if the COAs that came with the LTDs and PCSs said "one of a kind" on it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The only instance I know of regarding being turned down is if you want one identical to Randy's Jacksons or the various limited runs like the LTDs and PCSs and JCFs - they'll do small changes, but as far as being 100% identical specs, I don't think they will.
    But then what changes would they make? Probably using a scarf joint instead of 3 piece, or some other measurable difference that may not be immediately noticeable.
    For instance, you've seen the Gold Marble Rhoads with the Kutouts at Music Zoo? It's not the NAMM guitar, but it was ordered to look like it, but the Kutz are deeper than the NAMM model.
    As well, they've got a Chlorine Quilt Soloist that is supposed to look like the one form NAMM, but the Quilt pattern is more dense, and it looks like Godzilla-hide rather than a swimming pool.

But then it also depends on how you view "identical". Jackson may say that a red logo on a PCS Rhoads is enough of a difference, or they may not.

Whenever I see "one of a kind" I always add "..until someone makes another one"
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

"I've often wondered if the COAs that came with the LTDs and PCSs said "one of a kind" on it "

lol, very good point, my friend. And the same with rhoads'. interesting...but with the guitars thats only difference is the difference in the "quiltage"...i wonder if the builders consciencely think about that, or just pick a nice piece of quilt top...

wow, i realized there could be a ton of different things that go into this, and analyzing this...weird. sorry if this is a weird read for you folks, haha!

Comment

I think it's fascinating!
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Order a CS Rhoads with Kevin Bond´s specs (the green one, incl. hemp inlays). If they´ll do it [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ... and if you take it I´ve got dibs [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I think the only reason they'll turn down an order (other than for legal reasons) is if was previously done as a small batch run. Take the Dweezil run we're doing now... no one else can order one of those guitars for the next 12 months.
            Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

but after those 12 months, someone else can order the same thing?

Comment

As far as I know, yes. It wouldn't have the special numbers, photo CD or leather binder with COA though.
                Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Take the Dweezil run we're doing now... no one else can order one of those guitars for the next 12 months.

[/ QUOTE ]
                  Why not? Let's say I just want to order a guitar like that and have no knowledge of the JCF and the limited run, the Custom Shop would turn down my money and deny making that guitar for me?
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I would, Toe! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]
                      Take the Dweezil run we're doing now... no one else can order one of those guitars for the next 12 months.

[/ QUOTE ]
                      Why not? Let's say I just want to order a guitar like that and have no knowledge of the JCF and the limited run, the Custom Shop would turn down my money and deny making that guitar for me?

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly....I´m not too sure they´d really do that...but of course someone has to try it before we know for sure [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X