KV1 Vs. KV2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KV1 Vs. KV2

I am just curious as to the differences between the two. So far I have only noticed that KV1s had Kahler (some Floyd Rose) bridges..Is this the only difference? Is the neck a different width?
    I would so snatch that up it if were 24 frets

I'm out like Axl Rose just before a GNR concert

Re: KV1 Vs. KV2

KV1 is basically a Mustaine model.
    KV2 is a standard model.
    That is what I know.

Comment

The specs are indentical apart from the bridge and locking nut. KV1 had a Kahler APM3310 tremolo. KV Pro is a good
      option if you want a KV1 but a bit cheaper.
      But one thing worth mentioning is that I've had two KV1 and they were a lot different from each other. Different tuners, different neck specs, different frets. Also the two KV Pros I've had were slightly different. So the time period also plays a role there. I think KV1 specs changed at least 3 times.
      My band here -> http://www.diceoffate.com/

Comment

Good points Jani...
        I was going to mention the LSR tuners on the latest model vs. the std. Gotohs on earlier models and pros. One thing I recently noticed since I received my pro is the body difference. On earlier models and pros the body began at a lower fret location, where as the newest models there was a rounded cut that allowed the body to begin at a higher fret giving a few frets of better access. I need to snap some pics to better show this sometime.

- Joel
        RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
        RIP Dime

Comment

Thanks you guys, all I ever really hear about the KV1 is that Dave played them. They were made for Robin Crosby, right? I know he used them before Mustaine. Other than that I just know they were discontinued.

Comment

Yea, Dave's his own guitars are like that too.
            Look at his Silver KV and the KV1.
            There is a difference of the body shape where it meets the neck.
            Original KVs Dave used to use didn't have cutways and almost straight.
            KV1 and KV2 have some sort of cutaways and easier to play the higher frets.

Comment

I've played a couple of KV1's, mine is a 1998 model which has the LSR's, Jumbo Frets and a speed neck profile and the other one that I played, a '99 made guitar, has the same neck profile but has smaller frets. It also has Gotoh Machine Heads. Very much like the current KV2's but with a Kahler fixed bridge.

Comment

KV1's have a JB and a Jazz, KV2's have 2 JB's. KV1's have their volume controls wired opposite of KV2's.

Also, I believe KV1 bodies were poplar and KV2 bodies are alder.

Comment

Later KV1s are alder or korina. KV Pros are poplar.
                  I just checked all the catalogs with KV1 and KV2 and the only differences listed there were the bridge and wood options - maple tops were available for KV2. TB4 & SH4 pickups.
                  Also worth mentioning is that KV Pro has a lot shorter headstock than KV1/KV2.
                  I will try to find time to scan all the catalogs and price lists that show the specs.
                  BTW Mustaine's refinished silver custom KV and KV1 can be
                  indentified by the difference in control layout. On KV1 the volume knobs are spaced a lot closer together. On the 80s custom KVs the second volume is closer to the tone control.
                  My band here -> http://www.diceoffate.com/

Comment

KV pro has very large Jackson logo on the headstock.
                    [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I am wondering weither I should buy a USA KV2 or get another USA Rhoads, but custom made.

Comment

this forum's so damn cool. look at the intricate details you guys discovered/pointed out with this thread. this might be a stupid comment to put in this thread, but you guys rule. the whole damn forum rules.

Comment

kv2!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I am wondering weither I should buy a USA KV2 or get another USA Rhoads, but custom made.

[/ QUOTE ]

KV2 and Rhoads are bit different.
                            What exactly do you want from a guitar?
                            Floyd? 24frets?
                            They are all different so you shoudl choose the one that is something close to what you really want or if you have money and can wait, order exactly what you want.
                            Expect to be done in a year.
                            [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Dammit I wish I could find a KV1 pro or American.

Comment

Working...
                              X