Twisteramps..why you did it ;) :) :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twisteramps..why you did it ;) :) :)

I got the JCM800 from Pete (Twister), holy hell, it's awesome!

It was an ebay deal, as described, but I'll tell you what, you didn't tell me you were giving me a footswitch! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Fast shipping, great email responses, item as described, guy is a class act, and I would not hesitate to do business with him again.

Pete, thank you very much! Awesome deal!

Re: Twisteramps..why you did it

Glad you like it man! Hey, how would you compare the tone of the JCM800 vs the TSL you had?

Pete

Comment

IT SUCKKKKKKSSSS!!!!

No, just joking.

The TSL rocked, plain and simple. However, it was too noisy. And it did not seem like anything really jumped out of the amp if that made any sense.

It sounded the best with Presence 10, Bass 10, Treble 8, Mid 1. That was AFTER I put in JJ tubes (the best you can get in my humble opinion).

I immediately went to do that on the EQ with the JCM800, and you can't do that. You have to actually tailor your sound (not a bad thing at all!).

It has alot of gain, not more than the TSL, but alot, not quite as much as my Mesa, would I like more? Yes, can I and will I use it without more gain? Hell yes.

It seems like the harmonics just jump out of this amp, single notes sing, while power chords, are full of, well power! Palm muted notes really rumble the floor, nicely! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

It sounds like shit low volume, like by that I mean below one. Any tube amp (this is again, my opinion) sounds like shit at low volumes.
      That said, at 1, it's NICE, at 2, it's AWESOME! At 2.5 it's a monster, you get the idea. I gigged with it on 3.

How would I compare it to my Mesa? That's a tough one. I want to say my Mesa is dark, like a dark tone, you can call it scooped mids, but thats [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] because my mids are about on 3/4 with the Mesa (4 as in 4/10, not 4 oclock.) It seems like my Mesa can do anything (and I know it can), but I'm trying to find words to describe it.

The Marshall, it's sweet. It has a sweet sound, even when you scoop the mids. It can do *evil* sounding music, or happy, it's a really good amp all the way around.

There are a few quirks I do not like about it, and this goes with anything.

The clean channel is not great, then again, it could be alot worse. However, anyone with a JCM800 knows this is grounds in the territory. I wish the reverb was footswitchable. Hmm, a few other stupid things, but nothing serious.

This is one thing that bothers me about any amp, or at least alot that I have heard.

When you first change the channels in an amp, and that pop you hear, when you change it a few times, My Mesa, the Diezel I tried, my Marshall (new and old ones) and a VHT I was going to buy ALL did it. And what it is is the capacitors in the channel switching circuit *filling up*. a simple solution is to change the channels a few times before you actually play.

All in all, the amp can do anything, in my opinion. The only things I can see me doing are cleaning the pots, replacing the filter caps, and retubbing it with JJ tubes in the power amp, and Shuangwang or whatever they are fucking called Preamp tubes. That's just my personal prefference though, and that won't be done for awhile.

My only real ***** is the clean channel, since I'm a plug in and play guy, my only FX are a chorus pedal, and a wah, the clean just doesn't do it, and I think I'll have to pull out my EQ. Eh that's another thing, I mean people have different points of view, some like midi-ing their FX and shit, some people are anti FX. I'm a guy who likes to go right into the amp, and this amp fucking sounds awesome.

My experience with you is great, and you're super honest. I love this amp, and I do not regret at all the deal (selling the TSL to buy this), You can just tell how much better built this amplifier is.

Pete, this amp's awesome, and I can't wait to get some sound clips up!

Thanks, and if this post is too long, admins, delete it, just leave the part where Pete is fucking awesome!

Comment

Glad you dig it man, it's a killer amp. I *think* the reverb IS footswitchable, try pulling the one button switch I included with the amp 1/2 way out and see if it will turn it off and on. I never used it that way, but I seem to recall the reverb would switch off and on. I think. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] If It does, then you need a two button footswitch with a stereo plug on the end to do that.

Pete

Comment

That will probably do it the more I think about it.

Something kinda quirky, I wanted to get like a cranked power amp sound, but like low volume if you know what I mean.

I turned up the master to like 8, then the volume on the gain stage to like 1 and the gain to 10, there was bleed through from the clean channel! that means, Don't do that [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
          X