Marshall MG100DFX 100 Watt 1x12 2 CH Combo w DFX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall MG100DFX 100 Watt 1x12 2 CH Combo w DFX

Since someone pointed out to me that this topic should be here, lol, I am posting it once again.

This is the amp I am planning on getting. I'll be purchasing it from <a href=:"www.americanmusicalsupply.com">AMS</a> as soon as I receive my income tax refund sometime in Feb. '03 . If anyone has any experiences to share using this particular amp, or any one it the MGxxxDFX series, please post them.

James Hutto

Re: Marshall MG100DFX 100 Watt 1x12 2 CH Combo w DFX

No offence mate but that amp is the biggest load of **** that has ever hit my ears.Even the guy in the music shop told me not to be wasting my money on that. For around the same price or maybe even cheaper you could get a Peavy Bandit (100w with 12" speaker). They are great amps for the money and are one of my favorite solid state amps.
    the Marshall MG has rotten distorsion, it sounds all muffeled and muddy.
    Thats just my view but I'm pretty sure most people would agree with me on that.

Comment

Yup, i fully agree. It did have one feature i liked on it, only i can't remember what it was. Must have been that good. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The distortion was uhm... how do i put this... [img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img] The clean was [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] and of course, denting it w/ the tip of an RR because i forgot how to hold it properly was [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] .

Comment

Just out of curiosity, have you tried the amp out? How did you decide that was the one you were going to get?

-Kyle

Comment

I played the 30W version of it, and i thought it sounded ok, but i am a beginner though. How about a crate amp ? Friend of mine has one and its pretty good.

Thanks for all the feedback, potentially saved me some money lol.

J.Hutto

Comment

I'd say that if you are a beginner you are definately looking in the right direction...solid state that is. The last thing you need to do when trying to learn the guitar is try to learn to tweak and maintain your amp at the same time. In time you'll grow tired of your amp and try new things, but a solid state is a good place to start. As for which solid state, I'd say you've already found 2 possiblities. If you like the 30w version of the Marshall MG then you will probably like the 100w version. Crate makes some damn good solid state practice amps too. Keep in mind that with music the only thing that really matters in choosing an amp (besides reliablity I suppose)is what you hear and like. You'll find that with amps you can ask 100 different people about an amp and get plenty that love it and plenty that say it's only good for a door stop. It all boils down to your preferences. Do yourself a favor before you buy a new one from MF. Check out used amps either from a local pawn shop, or even eBay for that matter. You should be able to get one for much cheaper than you could brand new.

-Kyle

[ December 28, 2002, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: Kyle ]

Comment

Well, thanks for that post. It helped out tremedously. I would prefer to buy new instead of used because of the money back guarantee, and for the warranty. Not sure if those are the right things to be looking for, but with my money, I need some sort of guarantee. I like the fact that if I dont like, I can return it, and that if it breaks, they'll replace it.

J. Hutto

Comment

Well Musician's Friend can't really be trusted much... hehe....

I wouldn't be suprised if it did get broken in shipping and then get a reply from them, "It's not our fault."

They don't have the best reputation around here [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I own a Marshall G50RCD (I'm pretty sure there's no M in front of the model number for mine). I like it okay. I think they're pretty much in the same family.

I think I have to agree with the distortion bit. When the gain knob is up all the way, it sounds a little slushy. But, I typically have the gain only about 60% up because I play a lot of classic metal, and it sounds alright for that.

[ December 28, 2002, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: Number Of The Priest ]

Comment

Well do yourself a favor before you buy the Marshall and try out a few other amps in the same price range. In my view the only reason the MG series sell is because they have Marshall written on them. Again I think you should definitly try the Peavey Bandit, to my ears anyway it has one of the nicest distorsions on any amp in that price range. The clean channel is also pretty nice, and its a real sturdy amp.

Comment

yeah I posted earlier that I think this amp is not made by marshall in the UK but by a comp. named park in Japan.

Comment

Some friends of mine tried it out and they said while it had decent overdrive tones and nice clean ones, they complained that they couldn't get real thick, Pantera-style distortion out of it...have any of you had the same experience?

Astonishingly, the MG100DFX is avilable in India for under $300. So, maybe it's made right herE??

[ December 31, 2002, 04:08 AM: Message edited by: kunal ]

Comment

Working...
                        X