give me your opinion...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• give me your opinion...

Tell me what you think of the mesa 290 poweramp and the triaxis combination?Any good or not.

Re: give me your opinion...

They were built to be used together so I would think it should sound great. I haven't heard the combo myself but I would guess you get that trademark Mesa tone from it. I believe Matt Crooks used to use this setup so you may want to ask him.
    We must!
    We must!
    We must increase the bust!
    The bigger the better!
    The tighter the sweater!
    The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Yea,I know they were meant to be used together.But seems like all I hear on this board is people knocking mesa gear.I know its always about the heads,So I was wondering if there poweramps and preamps were any better.Or do they produce the same so called farting tone?Thanks paul.

Comment

I had the TriAxis/2:90 combination for a long time (5 years) The lead sound was amazing, as was the clean sound. The crunchy rhythm sound was good, but not quite as good as the Rectifier IMO. So I traded in the TriAx/2:90 for a Triple Rec.

Keep in mind that I am NOT a Mesa basher, in fact I'm a Mesa endorser. I can get a very nice rhythm sound from the Recto, my sound is as close to the sound of Iced Earth as any I've heard.

If I had my choice, I would use the recto for rhythms and the TriAx/2:90 for clean and leads. However, that would be a massive rig, and I just don't feel like lugging all that crap around.
        ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

I messed around with the triaxis\2:90 while making my first Boogie purchase back in 92.
          I loved the heavy sound of the Triaxis, but I found it to be VERY noisey, I could tell I would be spending much time diming in a nice hiss free tone [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Got that all figured out rocktron hush super c...

Comment

Very true, that will work!

But....you can forget about using a little delay with your solos unless you have a way to deactive the hush.

Comment

Why do you say that?My friend uses the hush and has no problem with delay.As a matter of fact he has the same setup that I want.

Comment

I say that because I was having a hiss issue with my Dual rectifier and decided the best way to shut it up was with the Hush. It worked great for rythms, but when I used it with my quadraverb for solos, it killed my delay after about 1-2 repeats.

I don't know how your friend has it setup so maybe he's diffrent. But I use it very lightly, just to give me some wide open tones that might ring a little longer. The hush simply destroyed that effect..

It's just something that did'nt work for me and you may run into the same problem

Comment

Run the hush after your preamp and before your delay and you'll never have that problem again- The hush will stop the noise but won't affect your delay at all- Mesa makes great gear, plain and simple- It all comes down to what you're looking for in a tone- Neddi
                    www.facebook.com/neddistanz

Comment

Neddi is 100% correct!

Comment

Nedster is a wise man. That's PrExactly what I was about to post and everyone knows I'm a freakin genious! [img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img]

Comment

The farting tone ha? lol It's all personal preference Paul. Mesa has a trademark tone. I wouldn't exactly call it farting though. More like a tightly saturated distortion. Fizzy bumble bee type tone. ][ :o )# You either like it or you don't. It's not the tone for my style but I still own a Mesa power amp and love it. The 20/20 is probably the best low power power amp available on the market today.

[ December 06, 2002, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: Soloist1 ]
                          We must!
                          We must!
                          We must increase the bust!
                          The bigger the better!
                          The tighter the sweater!
                          The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Thanks alot guys for the info.I love the mesa tone,Its just I hear alot of people talking bad about them when it comes to vht or the uber.Hey mat can you give me some settings for the triaxis?I want a real heavy sound I guess it would come from the lead 2 yellow?Any you can remember would be appreciated.

Comment

When I was using my Triaxis, I had tried it with both a 2:90 and a 50/50 and in my opinion, the 50/50 was better. The 2:90 was TOO MUCH power and it seemed like the 50/50 had a smoother, tubier <?> tone. It seemed to sound better at more reasonable, stage volumes whereas the 2:90 was just so f&cking loud it didn't break up the way I wanted it to.
                              Then again, I've been away from those pieces for a couple years now, but that's what I remembered.

Comment

Working...
                              X