PDA

View Full Version : give me your opinion...

parntz145
12-06-2002, 07:01 AM
Tell me what you think of the mesa 290 poweramp and the triaxis combination?Any good or not.

Soloist1
12-06-2002, 09:43 AM
They were built to be used together so I would think it should sound great. I haven't heard the combo myself but I would guess you get that trademark Mesa tone from it. I believe Matt Crooks used to use this setup so you may want to ask him.

parntz145
12-06-2002, 12:48 PM
Yea,I know they were meant to be used together.But seems like all I hear on this board is people knocking mesa gear.I know its always about the heads,So I was wondering if there poweramps and preamps were any better.Or do they produce the same so called farting tone?Thanks paul.

Matt Crooks
12-06-2002, 12:55 PM
I had the TriAxis/2:90 combination for a long time (5 years) The lead sound was amazing, as was the clean sound. The crunchy rhythm sound was good, but not quite as good as the Rectifier IMO. So I traded in the TriAx/2:90 for a Triple Rec.

Keep in mind that I am NOT a Mesa basher, in fact I'm a Mesa endorser. I can get a very nice rhythm sound from the Recto, my sound is as close to the sound of Iced Earth as any I've heard.

If I had my choice, I would use the recto for rhythms and the TriAx/2:90 for clean and leads. However, that would be a massive rig, and I just don't feel like lugging all that crap around.

thingman
12-06-2002, 02:05 PM
I messed around with the triaxis\2:90 while making my first Boogie purchase back in 92.
I loved the heavy sound of the Triaxis, but I found it to be VERY noisey, I could tell I would be spending much time diming in a nice hiss free tone images/icons/frown.gif

parntz145
12-06-2002, 02:14 PM
Got that all figured out rocktron hush super c...

thingman
12-06-2002, 03:06 PM
Very true, that will work!

But....you can forget about using a little delay with your solos unless you have a way to deactive the hush.

parntz145
12-06-2002, 03:10 PM
Why do you say that?My friend uses the hush and has no problem with delay.As a matter of fact he has the same setup that I want.

thingman
12-06-2002, 05:53 PM
I say that because I was having a hiss issue with my Dual rectifier and decided the best way to shut it up was with the Hush. It worked great for rythms, but when I used it with my quadraverb for solos, it killed my delay after about 1-2 repeats.

I don't know how your friend has it setup so maybe he's diffrent. But I use it very lightly, just to give me some wide open tones that might ring a little longer. The hush simply destroyed that effect..

It's just something that did'nt work for me and you may run into the same problem

Foolius Maximus
12-06-2002, 06:35 PM
Run the hush after your preamp and before your delay and you'll never have that problem again- The hush will stop the noise but won't affect your delay at all- Mesa makes great gear, plain and simple- It all comes down to what you're looking for in a tone- Neddi

Spiderman
12-06-2002, 07:11 PM
Neddi is 100% correct!

Troy from VENTT
12-06-2002, 09:40 PM
Nedster is a wise man. That's PrExactly what I was about to post and everyone knows I'm a freakin genious! graemlins/fart.gif

Soloist1
12-07-2002, 01:28 AM
The farting tone ha? lol It's all personal preference Paul. Mesa has a trademark tone. I wouldn't exactly call it farting though. More like a tightly saturated distortion. Fizzy bumble bee type tone. ][ :o )# You either like it or you don't. It's not the tone for my style but I still own a Mesa power amp and love it. The 20/20 is probably the best low power power amp available on the market today.

[ December 06, 2002, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: Soloist1 ]

parntz145
12-07-2002, 01:33 AM
Thanks alot guys for the info.I love the mesa tone,Its just I hear alot of people talking bad about them when it comes to vht or the uber.Hey mat can you give me some settings for the triaxis?I want a real heavy sound I guess it would come from the lead 2 yellow?Any you can remember would be appreciated.

JiMoSiTY
12-07-2002, 10:01 AM
When I was using my Triaxis, I had tried it with both a 2:90 and a 50/50 and in my opinion, the 50/50 was better. The 2:90 was TOO MUCH power and it seemed like the 50/50 had a smoother, tubier <?> tone. It seemed to sound better at more reasonable, stage volumes whereas the 2:90 was just so f&cking loud it didn't break up the way I wanted it to.
Then again, I've been away from those pieces for a couple years now, but that's what I remembered.