CS Charvels and the recession

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CS Charvels and the recession

I know there is a recession and funds are tight, but is anyone buying new CS Charvels? It seems that they have all but disappeared from dealer inventory aside from the boring stuff they have at the Music Zoo and the Warren models.

They still have a waiting time of about 6 mos last I checked, so I think the CS stuff may be doing fine.

The Dealer Stock CS seems to have petered out. I guess that Custom work is (should be) so personal that buying for stock is too much of a risk.
    Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Take a look thru ebay completed auctions to see what is selling and what isn't. I'm convinced if I sell my stuff for 4x what it is worth, I'll eventually hook and reel in a sucker.

Comment

I love Charvels, old and new. But I think that unfortunately today a new Charvel CS is no longer relevant as a force in the guitar market.

I realized first hand, and over time, that as much as I want Charvel to be the no 1 Super Strat bolt-on guitar, there are better, and often cheaper alternatives out there.

Comment

I have one on order right now. I suspect that, like everything else in the current economy, custom shop business has slowed down somewhat. I'd guess they're doing OK considering, though.

I really don't get why dealers don't order a few plain janes, etc to have in stock - a couple of solids, flame/quilt tops, and a classic graphic or so. Don't go crazy with the options, just basic "cool factor" stuff that would likely have broad appeal. Maybe have 3 or 4 guitars on hand, more depending on the size of the shop. I mean, even if they are peg warmers for an extended period, at least they'll attract some floor traffic and maybe help sell other items as folks come in to gawk. LOL That's how my local shops used to do things here back in the day. ...Then again, I'm not a dealer, so I probably don't have a clue what it takes to run a successful music store business nowadays.

Comment

Ordered this over a year ago and I'd have ordered another CS Star in a heart beat were it not for the fact that they won't do neck thru's. That and they won't touch a banana style head stock-

Comment

Originally posted by surfreak View Post
              I love Charvels, old and new. But I think that unfortunately today a new Charvel CS is no longer relevant as a force in the guitar market.

I realized first hand, and over time, that as much as I want Charvel to be the no 1 Super Strat bolt-on guitar, there are better, and often cheaper alternatives out there.
              Out of curiosity, and so I can take a quick look for a potential custom, who are these cheaper/better builders?

Comment

Originally posted by Riddick View Post
                Out of curiosity, and so I can take a quick look for a potential custom, who are these cheaper/better builders?
                Suhr, for example.

Comment

I'm lucky to have a fantastic job and can afford anything I want now, but I really can't see paying over $3k for any guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Riddick View Post
                    LOL...Charvel Japan.

Comment

That rising sun looks killer.

Comment

I odered a second custom shop in Nov 2010 and am now being told Feb 2012 is the completion date. I was originally told I would receive the guitar in August, then they said October, now it is Feb. I'm not seeing a recession for the custom shop.

Comment

Are lead times really an accurate measure of how well they are doing?

I remember somebody a couple years back saying literally almost NOTHING was happening in the Custom Shop and they were having the people help on the other Fender lines to keep them busy. Yet, lead times were still fairly long.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                            Are lead times really an accurate measure of how well they are doing?
                            Who knows? We have to use something as a measuring stick and FMIC doesn't disclose sales numbers.
                            Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

A theory: Jackson wants to retain the "perception" of quality. As in, time = quality. If, for example, orders were slowing down, and actual lead time dropped to around 3 or 4 months, maybe folks would think, "Wow, they really ripped this thing out - maybe it's not as good as that one that took 14 months!"

Also, if lead times were that low, JCMI probably wouldn't want that to become public knowledge.
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X