San Dimas Reissue parts guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Dimas Reissue parts guitar

Just bought a 2005? San Dimas reissue with a substitute 2009 pro mod USA neck as a case of wanting the two halves separately. Apart from the badly placed nut, which will go and the body neck mismatch, does everything look authentic? I mean the trem and body and neck and all? Wanting one of those necks for ages.

Plan is to put the lock nut back on the neck and use it straight on a USA 2009 dimas body.

Use what I have lying around for the 2005 or maybe get a Japan pro mod neck and fit a gold locking nut, gold grovers and an allen key holder behind the headstock, kind of like the first floyds were.

Hopefully, I'm the right buyer as I have most of the parts to fix it. Bit worried that the neck looks a lot yellower than the ones I've seen, but maybe it cause its been used, I don't know.

Hopefully two for the price of one. Does this sound like a plan?

Last edited by ginsambo; 10-30-2011, 07:07 PM.
    You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

OK. I take it everything looks genuine then, or people will not reply fearing I might launch into a non topic related rant, fair enough.

Having a few issues with neck pocket sizes. I have a 2009 USA Charvel Pro Mod body and the pocket seems a little tight. Its kind of inbetween 2 3/16" and 2 1/4"....is this normal? Certainly not as wide as the Jacksons of old. I hope the 2009 USA neck fits and each one is not taylored to the guitar body individually.
    Last edited by ginsambo; 11-02-2011, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Regardng your first post, the neck looks like a pro mod from the photos. Do you have any photos of the back of the body or inside the control cavity?

Comment

Body Serial # 6492 on neck plate (Just those four numbers on a relief just big enough to show four digits, so no '0's' in front of them. Apparently its a 2005 USA Charvel body (Pointy neck type) with nos brass trem.

Do you know of the USA Charvel 2005 bodies featured a wider (Standard 2 1/4") neck pocket than the 2008/9 Fender Charvel USA bodies? I have a 2008 2H slime green here, its almost 2 3/16" on the pocket...no where near a full 2 1/4 wide at the heel (A Fender neck fits without body overlap). I know the Fender Charvels were made on the same production line as Fenders, so I wonder if the neck pocket is smaller on the 08/09 USA pro mods? I'm just worried the 2008 USA neck may not fit it. Although in theory it should as both were from the same year, same model at the same factory. The slime green body has a big F stamped in the neck pocket and a bar code sticker in one of the pup routs.
        Last edited by ginsambo; 11-02-2011, 12:57 PM.

Comment

IIRC Some of the 05 reissues had a slightly widerpocket I wanna say 2 3/16 sounds correct for the HRF one I had. I have had a handful of these and they were all amazing though.
          Haters gonna hate
          Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by coloradoman25 View Post
            IIRC Some of the 05 reissues had a slightly widerpocket I wanna say 2 3/16 sounds correct for the HRF one I had. I have had a handful of these and they were all amazing though.
            Thanks Coloradoman. Its all I wanted to know really! It means that the 08 USA pro mod neck and 08 body will fit and I want this to be a real good one! I'II wait and see what the neck pocket is on the 05 body, if I can get away with an existing warmoth in it or maybe fit a pointy Jackson or Japanese pro mod neck. I don't much care for 1/16 gaps in the bodywork, especially because the body heel projection that isn't flush.

Comment

I have a usa slime green pro mod body that has had a 87 model 4 pointy neck and now a Jap promod neck and they both fit like a glove, the same. No gaps, nice and snug, a perfect fit. I dont know if that helps you at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
                I have a usa slime green pro mod body that has had a 87 model 4 pointy neck and now a Jap promod neck and they both fit like a glove, the same. No gaps, nice and snug, a perfect fit. I dont know if that helps you at all.

Why'd you have to say a thing like that for...now I'm all worrying again! The slime green body I have is a 2008 USA and is as near as dammit has a 2 3/16" neck pocket. The 2008 USA neck, shown on the blue 2005 is being shipped and hasn't got here yet. Interesting though as my Model import model 1A has a 2 1/4" heel.

Now you are making me think that every neck is somehow crafted and taylored specifically to the body and every one is unique...or more likely they changed neck heel sizes during production, or early model series featured a narrower pocket?

Hope it fits. I have two Jackson necks and one almost fits the HRF slime green body although the other is a standard 2 1/4" and too big for it.

I guess only way to know for sure is when the neck arrives. :think: Will find out in a day or so.

Oh how I like to worry.
                Last edited by ginsambo; 11-03-2011, 02:16 AM.

Comment

Nice guitar

Comment

Arrived today in post. Unbelieveable USA neck!!!! It is actually very well set up with a ebanol nut. I couldn't tell from the photos. Genuine 2005 Candy Blue. All the guitars (2005 and 2008) are 2 3/16" neck pockets which will help. Wanted to put a Warmoth on there but to be honest the USA neck shits all over it....and its so well set up...

So only the Japanese pro mod necks 2 1/4 heel then? And only the USA Fender charvels reissue vintage type Strats are 2 3/16"? Makes sense I guess since Fender bought them out in 2002.

Damn, you wouldn't want to order a Japanese neck as a replacement for a USA body...you'd be stuffed.

Comment

Originally posted by ginsambo View Post
                      Damn, you wouldn't want to order a Japanese neck as a replacement for a USA body...you'd be stuffed.
                      Like I said earlier, I have a Japanese promod neck on a slime green usa promod body and it fits perfectly. I have no experience with the pointy re issues though.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
                        Like I said earlier, I have a Japanese promod neck on a slime green usa promod body and it fits perfectly. I have no experience with the pointy re issues though.
                        Oh, thought you meant USA neck. Reliable Fender is listing the Japanese necks as having 2 1/4" heel, so I assumed they were.

Comment

I've owned several from the 6100-6500 serial range and all were 2 1/4" necks (both pointys and stratheads). I'm pretty certain the promods have a heel width of 2 1/4" as well. So do the old Japanese Model series.

Comment

Originally posted by slowhand66 View Post
                            I've owned several from the 6100-6500 serial range and all were 2 1/4" necks (both pointys and stratheads). I'm pretty certain the promods have a heel width of 2 1/4" as well. So do the old Japanese Model series.
                            Weird. More Charvel/Jackson consistency then...as it seems some do, some don't, maybe it depended on what the pile of necks were?

My theory was that the USA stratheads in the Fender period are 2 3/16" having been made on the same production line as Fenders. I know the old model series were 2 1/4". I guessed the Japanese Stratheads are 2 1/4" as they are made at the same plant as import Charvels were before maybe.

However the fact that someone has a Jap pro mod neck and also a model series neck that fits straight on a USA pro mod slime green 08/09 era body kind of spanners the theory for me though.

My second theory is that a lot of people prefer the USA necks, not only because of the finish, but also simply because they are not as broad across the fretboard as a traditional Jackson/Charvel with the same playing surface as but with massive rolled edges would be.

The 6492 is a Candy blue with a 2 3/16" neck pocket and the '08 Slime green san dimas is also a 2 3/16" neck pocket. Anyway I prefer them this way.

Actually it is kind of ironic that Charvels are now turning me on to Fender Strats.....something I thought I would never get into....so I do wonder if that wasn't Fender's secret plan all along?

Comment

The general rule was that pretty much everything after 1986 made by charvel or jackson had a 2.25 neck heel. There were some exceptions such as some korean made performer models as well as some indian made jacksons. Some of those had the 2 3/16. In all my experience over the years switching between jackson and charvel necks and bodies this has always been the case. 99% of the time all my jackson jap import necks and model series bodies have always fit together perfectly, like they were made for each other. I have also found that my original run usa made slime green promod body has taken a model series neck, a jap promod neck and briefly a jap jackson import neck and all have fit like a glove, all with 2.25 heels and pockets. I find it odd that your slime green promod body has a 2 3/16 pocket. I have no experience with the usa pointy reissues so I cant comment on that.

Comment

Working...
                              X