Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Charvel's lured me back...

Hey guys,

Will here - I'm a sixteen year old guitarist from Eastern Canada. I've had a ton of guitars over the years, but one of my favourites was my old 2010 Charvel San Dimas "Lucky Seven" H-S-S model that I bought new last September. I absolutely fell in love with the feel of the quartersawn maple neck and classic Charvel finish, as well as things like the raw and rippin' tone provided by the Duncans, and the understated yet deadly looks of the iconic superstrat. However, after about two months, I had my heart set on buying a custom Suhr, so I sold it for what I paid and moved on. However, I always thought back to the guitar and how much I missed it. Even after ordering and getting my Suhr Modern, I still missed the Charvel...

Flash forward to a week ago. I was chatting online with my buddy who happens to be my de facto sales rep for the Long and McQuade here. I'd just taken delivery of my Modern and was jokingly saying to him that I wanted a backup guitar. Then it hit me - the L&M location where he works had ONE last USA Pro Mod sitting on the wall. It was a black San Dimas, probably from the first run that had been sitting on the wall since it came into the store two or three years ago (The SN is under 001200). They had dropped the price on it a few times before the paint on the back started to flake off near the tremolo cavity. I discussed this with him and then started into the hardball negotiation - which isn't something normally done at L&M from what I understand.

"Dude, I love that guitar, but even your current asking price reflecting the condition is steep... I'll give you $400 for it."

Surprisingly, I get a call a couple of days later saying they discussed it with their manager and though he cringed when the offer was told to him, they countered at $400 + taxes with a bag. I rushed down there after I got out of school and brought it home. I figure it was a steal, and it's about half of what I paid for my first SDS1 a year ago. Given that the paint is flaking off, I figure I can either leave it as is, or peel the stuff off and go au naturale like the TMZ Natural Series Charvels that I love oh so much.

Here are some quick pics I snapped of it when I got it home last week.

W.

Here's a quick pic of the back... you can see where the finish has flaked off.

Current Jackson/Charvels:
    *2008 Charvel San Dimas Style 1-2H - Black

Past Jackson/Charvels:
    *2010 Charvel San Dimas Style 1 (HSS) - Trans Kandy Gold
    *2009 Jackson King V KV2 - Snow White
    *1996 Jackson RR-3 MIJ - Black
    *1988 Charvel Model 4M - EVH'd

Nice score!! Good deal!
    Hardware: all black, all the time.

Comment

You thief you!
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I don't usually don't like black guitars, but that is pretty friggen classy.
        "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Send the body to Mike Learn for a refin. You will then have the coolest pro-mod owned by a 16 year old.

If thats more extreme than you were thinking and since the peeling seems to be confined to the back side of the guitar, you could probably just re-clear over top of the peeled bit to prevent it from spreading.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Nice guitar. You got a bargain. Black is a nightmare colour to keep mint anyhow. One thing I hate about polyurethane is that it lifts and chips so easy as its so hard and can't be repaired easily. At least the laquer has bonded well with the paint coats and primer coats by the look of it too though, usually its when it starts lifting from the basecoat you get problems. Maybe one day have it refinished in solid candy pink nitro? Anyway, you got soil and grass stains on the headstock now, that usually devalues them by at least a few hundred $'s so you'll have to keep it and play it! Could always buy another mint body off Reliable Fender on Fleecebay, and that will still only take you up to $610 or so, which is still...a bargain!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-Charvel...item53e8eae4d1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-America...item2c5abb8611
            Last edited by ginsambo; 09-19-2011, 12:35 PM.
            You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Working...
            X