Musicman Petrucci JP6 or MZ Natural ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musicman Petrucci JP6 or MZ Natural ?

I'm thinking of selling my JP6 because I really want a Music Zoo Mahogany, I know the guitars are different , What would you do?

I'm not familiar with the JP6 but I have one of the Music Zoo Mahoganys. I can tell you it is one of my favorite guitars both tone and playing wise. Because it's oiled and not painted the body resonates well and very loudly. I would say that if you decide to buy one you wont be dissapointed.
    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

I'm not familiar with the JP6 either, but I have a TMZ Natural one with a KOA body. Amazing player. The neck on it is like 'buttah'.

Are you close enough to go to TMZ to try it out?
      Last edited by GuerillaPete; 08-29-2011, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the input.I've heard nothing but good things, and unfortunately no I don't live close enough to TMZ to try one out.
        The JP is gone now anyway , so we'll see.

Comment

Keep an eye out online (Craig's List & EBay). Every now and then a TMZ natural will go on the used market. That's how I got my koa & my TMZ matte black.

Comment

I've played both. My local shop gets lots of EBMM BFR guitars. I've spent what I'd call expansive time playing the whole EBMM range.

The pertucci is a basswood body, and basswood has a certain tonal quality to it. Some people like it and others don't. Most Ibanez RG's are basswood as well, so you should first know what your getting into. To my ears, basswood sounds quite different to alder and mahogany. It sounds very good for some tones and not so good for others. Its all really personal preference. The neck has a few different wood combinations. The most typical is maple w/ a rosewood fingerboard. I think the BFR's use a rosewood neck. fingerboard. There is also a special baked maple neck with an ebony board. My favorite is the rosewood BFR neck.

With only a couple exceptions, I don't like DiMarzio pickups. The JP has 2 DiMarzio's that I find dull. For my hands, the neck is too skinny. I do like the Piezo pickup. With the right amp, the JP sounds nice as an acoustic. The 3 way toggle for the piezo, electric pickups/ mix, can also be used as a killswitch depending upon which of the 2 inputs you plug your cord into. I like the position of the PU selector switch, which makes switching a breeze. The guitar has locking tuners and a floating trem. It will go out of tune with a lot of abuse, I've also snapped a few strings with the tremolo.

I played a TMZ natural once, and that was a long time ago, so my memory is a bit fuzzy. It was and alder body with a maple neck/ fingerboard and a floyd rose. It sounded better than the JP, but I'm into J/C guitars, so I'm biased as to which one I like more .

If you want a better comparison to the JP6, I'd take a look at a Parker Dragonfly, which I think is a better comparison as far as specs and features go. If you really want the Piezo, but want the Charvel, I think graph-tech makes a piezo floyd rose. It might be worth a look.
            Last edited by The Rossness; 08-30-2011, 12:30 AM.

Comment

http://www.graphtech.com/products.html?SubCategoryID=86 - Licensed Floyd with pre-installed piezo saddles.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
              X