Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2009 So Cal V's 2006 San Dimas: difference/similarities of neck shape.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 So Cal V's 2006 San Dimas: difference/similarities of neck shape.

ive just taken delivery of a 2009 So Cal of ebay this week and i think the neck is prilliant. Looking through ebay again today ive spotted a 2006 San Dimas USA Reissue for sale that looks really nice too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-Charv...#ht_908wt_1139

I have a couple of questions though.

1) I thought Charvel only started the USA production models in 2008? so how can this be a 2006 guitar?

2) Will the neck be exactly the same as my So Cal?

The neck is VERY different. These were the reissues from 2004-2005. Not a production line guitar but not custom shop either. There more like how the Jackson Selects are made.

Comment

The neck on most of the '04 - '06 pointy guitars is pretty similar to a Jackson USA Dinky in thickness and backshape, and another difference from promods is that they don't have the factory rolled fretboard edges. Some varied if they were ordered with different specs, of course. Wild West had a bunch early on with 1 3/4" nut width, for example.

Comment

I've also been interested in the differences between the two. It seems that the points really get the praise as far as attention to detail ,craftsmanship and such, so which is better? or Is it apples and oranges?

Comment

I personally prefer the pointy neck profile. The pointies were made to a higher standard, but the promods are excellent, and I'd have no problem choosing one over a pointy if I preferred that neck profile. You really can't go wrong either way, imo. I'd recommend trying a pointy out if you get the chance, and just see what you think. If you have to buy one without trying it, you can usually find them for good prices, and you shouldn't have much trouble getting your money back out if you decide to resell. I'd probably look for a floyded one if that's a concern, though, since they tend to be more in-demand than the v-trem models.

Comment

I have both, US ProMods and a pointy reissue with the v-trem and like them both, but pointy is definitely a higher quality guitar. The neck on mine is very thin, I'd say it feels thinner than original Ibanez Wizard neck, though it's a little narrower and the back shape is clocer to a very slim C rather than D. I tried couple of others reissues and the necks were a little different on each of them, maybe a little thicker. And going back to floyd vs v-trem, I chose the v-trem because it sounded much better to me, most likely because of the brass. Though it's almost unusable as a trem, so think of it as of hardtail.

Comment

I also own a couple of each and I agree with the comments above. I own a 2005 pointy Copperhead and a 2007 Black pointy and the neck shapes although very similar are different. The 2005 being very slim and D shaped and the 2007 being a tad thicker. I think this is mostly due to the hand sanding and finishing. Both are great guitars with better hardware then the Pro Mods. My 2005 Copperhead pointy is my favorite guitar period and I will never part with it. I did just take ownership of a NOS USA Promod Style 1 that is quickly becoming one of my favorites. It is just like the Copperhead pointy which is very light and resonant. If there is one thing I have noticed about Charvel guitars in general it is their weight, they very greatly. Some seem to be very heavy while oyhers are super light. I prefer the light ones.

Comment

Working...
              X