Just got my 2nd Charvel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got my 2nd Charvel.

Ive just taken delivery of a USA So Cal in Ferrari Red off ebay. This is a great guitar! The colour is so vivid and the neck is really nice; it even has a bit of flaming in the maple on the back of the neck
    It arrived with gauge 9 strings on it so these were changed to 10's when i re-strung it. It took me 2 hours to get the Floyd Rose set up with thicker strings, but its still not staying in tune properly. I took it to a local jam night and got on stage to play a few songs but i couldn't keep it in tune. Is it just a case of bedding it in with these strings and continually tuning it up until everything settles?
    Ive had guitars with floyd rose bridges before but not for a long time. ive been playing fender strat's for years with blocked off tremolo's so this has never been a problem!
    Has any one else had this problem when stringing it with 10's?

your going to have that problem with new strings unless you boil them like EVH.

Comment

boil them? boil them in what?

i know strings have to be stretched in and need to be played in before they settle but i think the jump in string size and setting the spring tension differently for the bridge etc. is exaggerating the problem.

Comment

yes eddie van halen boils his strings in water.

Comment

wouldn't that cause them to corrode/rust? ive never heard of that one before. does he throw the sealed pack into the water so the strings dont get wet but just heat up? i can see the logic with this.

Comment

You don't need to boil them but they do need stretching a LOT and it takes some time. Once you know what you're doing it's not so bad. The floating Floyd is great.

I have heard of people boiling old strings to get more life out of them, mainly with bass strings.

Comment

like i said its not my first floyd equipped guitar. ive got a cheap Jackson perormer, albeit not played in a long time, and i used to have an old charvel 88 model. it just seems to be taking a long time for everything to settle in; i dont find myself having much confidence in it at the minute which is a shame because ive got a gig tomorrow night and wanted to use it! ill give it the beans tonight and play it in properly and see what happens.

Comment

Oh ok, well these are no different to the others and the trem is better quality than those too.

I have German made Schaller Floyds on all my other guitars and I don't mind these at all.

Comment

If you just got the guitar and it traveleved across the country, you may want to let it acclimate to the humidity and temp conditions in it's new enviroment.

This coupled with more string tension will throw it out of wack.

Did you adjust the truss rod for the extra tension? If not I'm sure that isn't helping matters.

All guitars are different, some handle the changes without issue but some are more sensitive to these things.

I say give it a little time.

Comment

ive not adjusted the truss rod yet. ill play it in as it is and then ill get it dialled in 100% after its settled down. ill adjust the truss rod the next time i re-string since Charvel thought it would make sense to have the place to adjust the truss rod in the neck joint.
                    its like a toddler throwing its teddy out of its pram at the minute!

Comment

Changing up to 10's shouldn't be a problem -if anything heavier strings stay in tune better!

Make sure that you have compenstaed the extra tension by adjusting the spring claw and that the Floyd body is completely level (If anything a very minor tilt backwards).
                      You should also have to give the Truss rod half a turn to compensate the additional tension.

If you still have tuning problems then check the knife edges on the Floyd and make sure these are not damaged (on a guitar of less than a few years this shouldn't be a problem)

On a new Floyd equiped guitar I always think it takes a couple of weeks to play in and really settle but I'm guessing this is second hand?

Comment

I have mine strung with 10-52's, tuned to 440. It look only a little adjustment to the spring claw, but nothing else. Stays in tune perfect.

One suggestion to tuning is make sure the trem is level.

Comment

Working...
                        X