Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel EVH Art Series Mod!

Well folks..

Here it is, modified with an VHII Bare Knuckle Pickup and a brand new 1984 Reissue Original Floyd Rose with brass fine tuners and big brass block.
    I had to shave a millimetre off the wood where the block rests to fit it snug and ditched the 80s style bar retainer (as I prefer the modern bar holder)

The last step would be the issue of a headstock repaint.. but I`m still in two minds as I wont be able to go back to the original once I pull the trigger on that.
    But , I have done a little photoshop trickery on the last pic so you guys can decide for yourselves if you think it would look cool.
    Of course This would be done by a pro with the correct decals etc..

Enjoy

www.vendetta-theband.com
    www.atomhawk.com

Since you've already made some minor changes "might as well jump".... I mean go all the way.
    PUN INTENDED.

That little ding about an inch above the low E can probably be fixed by the same pro if it matters to you.

Personally, as long is it turns into exactly what you want and it makes you happy I say do it!!!

Comment

Go for it. You've already pulled the band-aid off when you shaved the body to handle the block.

The only thing I'm confused about is that the Fender Pup in those is really good. Does the BK make much of a difference?
      Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I say the headstock goes black. It really makes the whole thing pop.
        My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

Go for it man, I think it'll make the guitar look together.

What kind of fret board is that? Looks like a cross, too dark for maple and too light for rosewood. Almost looks like a composite
          I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

Looks great with painted headstock.

Comment

"do it."
              Ratt & Roll

Comment

I'm going to go against the grain here and say I prefer the natural headstock.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Cheers for the responses guys.

TX-Joe -
                  I will be getting that little ding sorted. really can`t recall how that happened, but its an easy fix.

Flatpicker -
                  I agree.. that original humbucker sounded amazing, but sadly mine died on me! One of the coils snapped so it sounded like it was on half power. I emailed Fender and Seymour Duncan and they wouldnt fix it as the warranty ran out.. I was gutted as they dont make those pickups anymore, plus I live in the UK and I would have to ship it out and pay customs tax etc. One day I`ll send it off to a decent tech who can do rewinds. But for now The Bare Knuckle VHII sounds great (slightly more top end but still very similar, and Its a zebra which is even cooler looking)
                  But the new big brass block has added in some low end thump so it`s all good

TKEblue - It`s just a regular maple colour ..but I have played on it almost every few days since 2004 and it`s been gigged hard. Thats what unfinished necks look like after scruffy guitarists like me batter them over the years.. one day I`ll give a proper clean up with the right gunstock oil etc.

And the overall majority so far want to see a painted headstock.. apart from HellBat.
                  I know what you mean man, The natural still looks cool.. but I can imagine the black looking killer.. if it`s done right.:think:
                  www.vendetta-theband.com
                  www.atomhawk.com

Comment

+1 on the natural headstock, it just looks soo cool like that...

Comment

I like the painted as long as it can be done right and looks factory.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
                        I like the painted as long as it can be done right and looks factory.
                        Well.. if I went for it. It would be done by SimsCustoms in the UK. They are the best you can get for paint jobs over here.
                        www.vendetta-theband.com
                        www.atomhawk.com

Comment

If you're worried, buy another neck. You can find really good replacement necks on the used market. Then paint it black and logo-it to match the same yellow. Then if you decide to sell it, you could always revert back to 'almost' a stock guitar - sans the minor wood shave to accommodate the big block.

Here's what I got done last year using a So-Cal Charvel neck:

I had an EVH bumble-bee body that I bought from a builder who was 'clearing' them out. Seems EVH's lawyers got a hold of him and he had to liquidate the bodies he had. So I bought one and it collected dust in a closet until last year when I got a used So-Cal neck off Ebay. Sent it to a different luthier who did this to it:

Last edited by GuerillaPete; 08-10-2011, 09:25 PM.

Comment

I like the look of the black headstock. JCMI should have issued the Bumble bee Art Series with it in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Predator1 View Post
                              I like the look of the black headstock. JCMI should have issued the Bumble bee Art Series with it in the first place.
                              Guess it`s just up to me now! I cant think of anybody who`s modded their EVH Art Series.. Unless anyone knows of somebody who has.

And GuerillaPete - That really is a great idea. and that neck looks great.. maybe a good solution, but I really want to do this last job and I really couldnt imagine another neck feeling similar to the original (really has it`s own thing goin on)
                              www.vendetta-theband.com
                              www.atomhawk.com

Comment

Working...
                              X