Trouble keeping Trem arm tight on So Cal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble keeping Trem arm tight on So Cal

I like to have my trem arm tight enough where it doesn't fly all over the place and where I put it, its gonna stay until I move it again. I can tighten it up and it will do just that, but for a short time before its swingin like Tarzan all over the place. I tend to jump around on stage a bit and having a trem arm flying around is annoying. I only used the axe on one gig so far and I tried to make a habit of giving the arm a tightening turn between songs, but the one time I forgot it was flying all over the place reminding me that its an issue I need to resolve.
    I don't have the same issue on my Soloist...stays at the tension I set from the start.

Anyone else notice this issue and is there anything I can do?

The trem arm on the Korean Floyds that come on those have a plastic grommet that rides against collar instead of a metal pin like the German Floyds. Just get a German Floyd bar and collar assembly from here http://www.prorockgear.com/tremarmcollarstyle.aspx and that should fix your problem.

Comment

Replace the arm and threaded insert with a new Schaller set.

Or wrap the threaded collar with teflon/pipefitter's tape.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. Although the teflon tape might work, I could see it being a pain with having to take the bar on and off for storage.

So the German bar and collar will fit into the Korean Floyd with no sizing issues? For the relatively low cost it seems the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by nitrous12 View Post
          Thanks for the feedback guys. Although the teflon tape might work, I could see it being a pain with having to take the bar on and off for storage.

So the German bar and collar will fit into the Korean Floyd with no sizing issues? For the relatively low cost it seems the way to go.
          It fits perfect. I've done a couple of em with no issues.

Comment

The tape merely adds a hair of diameter to the threads for a tighter seal. You can still take the bar off, though you might have to replace the tape after a few times.

Still, the best way to go is a new bar and insert assembly.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

I have had I don't know how many of the new Floyd's, German, Korean, Schaller, Original, I've tried this bar with that collar, etc and out of a dozen or more I only have what I'd call a good fit on ONE.

Unless you want to keep the bar in one position (some do...) IMO, get the old-school screw-in bar and collar from ProRockGear.com. I think they work better. It might be more to your liking, if you are looking for consistency and as little play as possible.

Comment

My Schaller bars stay where I put them, but then I don't jump around.

Comment

That's what I said - UNLESS you want to keep the bar in one position. The collared bars are great if you want the bar to stay where you put it (I don't, some do). If you like the bar to be just tight enough to swing out of the way on its own but not have a lot of slop in it, the old-school screw-in bars are better.

Personally I like to get mine to spin around in a circle while I do my solos, sort of like a stripper with tasseled pasties.

Comment

I had the same issue with a San DImas Wildcard.

Oddly though the bar off of my MIJ Jackson JS30DK fit and worked perfectly so I switched them out.

Now the problem still exists with the JS30 but I no longer own it....or that problem.

The tape is a good temporary fix especially if you leave the arm on 99% of the time like I do.

Comment

I had the problem with my 2008 USA SoCal. Put on a rubber o-ring, using it as a lock washer for the collar, and it completely solved the problem. Worked so well been using the guitar constantly and haven't thought about it for the past 3 years.

Here's pictures I shared on the board when I first found this fix. Note the black rubber o-ring at the base of the threads.

I used #6 O-ring that I found at Home Depot in the faucet parts department. The size was 7/16 outter dimension x 5/16 inner dimension x 1/16. Here a picture of the packaging. I think the package of 10 was a dollar or two. I had thought that they would wear our over time, but the first one I used is still on and perfectly fine.

Here's a picture with the arm on. The collar stays tight, holding the arm in the position I like, even with plenty of trem use. I always thought Charvel should include one of these rings with the parts that comes with the guitar. It's a insignificant cost and can allow the customer to fix the problem if they want a snug trem arm.

Comment

I have the exact same issue on my brand new, made in Germany Floyd Rose.

Comment

Home Depot for an attempt at a $2 fix sounds like the first plan of attack. Thanks for all the info everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by nitrous12 View Post
                            Home Depot for an attempt at a $2 fix sounds like the first plan of attack. Thanks for all the info everyone!
                            Keep us posted it this fix works on your guitar.

Comment

Great idea! I've been lucky with all of my OFRs so far, but I'll definitely file this one away.

Comment

Working...
                              X