Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Original '83 Charvel? Is this a legit factory truss rod cutout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original '83 Charvel? Is this a legit factory truss rod cutout?

'83 Charvel on eBay - click here

I saw this guitar for sale on eBay and this guy has had a lot of legit stuff up in the past. He claims this guitar is completely original except for a replaced volume pot that had gotten scratchy.

What doesn't make sense to me is the truss rod cutout on the body. I've never seen a factory Charvel from that time period with a cutout like that. Looks like this is a mod made after the guitar left Charvel...

Thoughts?

Steve
    Henning Amplification Website - http://www.henningamps.com
    My Music Page (Mojave PeaceMaker, Axe-FX, Mesa MKIV and PODXT Pro Clips)

I would never doubt that seller. He's got some amazing stuff, and is a member here (and other places!).
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
      I would never doubt that seller. He's got some amazing stuff, and is a member here (and other places!).
      As I said, I've seen plenty of legit stuff from him before and he has been very honest when there is a mod. Still, my main question is?

Has anyone seen an early factory Charvel with a truss rod cutout like that?

Steve
      Last edited by sah5150; 06-29-2011, 02:16 PM.

Comment

The truss rod cutout is afteremarket on this partuclar guitar. There a few (very few) examples of factory cutouts. But the cutouts are painted over not black sharpie. I'm sure Wayne just overlooked it in his post. Why not just send him a message if you have a question?
        Last edited by voodoosound; 06-29-2011, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by voodoosound View Post
          The truss rod cutout is afteremarket on this partuclar guitar. There a few (very few) examples of factory cutouts. But the cutouts are painted over not black sharpie. I'm sure Wayne just overlooked it in his post. Why not just send him a message if you have a question?
          I did email him and I'm sure he'll get back to me. I clearly worded the question here wrong, but you answered it. I'd never seen a factory cutout like this before on an 80s San Dimas Charvel and you pointed out that there were rare examples that were painted. That is all I wanted to know...

Thanks!

Steve

Comment

1878 is 1983? I thought #1505 was the cutoff, or is that Jacksons?
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
              1878 is 1983? I thought #1505 was the cutoff, or is that Jacksons?
              Acording to usacharvels.com (Tracy's site), the year 1983 would be serial numbers #1725-#2938, so #1878 would be relatively early '83

Steve

Comment

i've heard charvel did the cutouts on guitars if you wanted...and there is a link somewhere to posts about it.....dont remember where....
                my 82 has it....
                all i know is that it was done so well...I dont think I or any wood worker i know could duplicate it. ..same with andy cains....very clean with no chips or cracks around it..and look to be done the same.....very hard to do if you have worked with painted wood before....mod or not...very smart...you can change gauges of strings and/or adjust without taking the neck off all the time..and end up stripping the wood.

killer guitar...sure it will go to the moon..I've got an eye on her...
                Last edited by Guitar_Symphony; 06-29-2011, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitar_Symphony View Post
                  i've heard charvel did the cutouts on guitars if you wanted...and there is a link somewhere to posts about it.....dont remember where....
                  my 82 has it....
                  all i know is that it was done so well...I dont think I or any wood worker i know could duplicate it. ..same with andy cains....very clean with no chips or cracks around it..and look to be done the same.....very hard to do if you have worked with painted wood before....mod or not...very smart...you can change gauges of strings and/or adjust without taking the neck off all the time..and end up stripping the wood.

killer guitar...sure it will go to the moon..I've got an eye on her...
                  While it's correct that in mid 83 charvel did start offering this as part of the custom build there were very few requests. I know of only 3 in my 30 years of collecting charvels, playing them and being best friends with a few that worked at charvel in the early to mid 80s. Like I said if charvel did it they did it before it got painted. No need for black sharpie to hide the hole. If I am not mistaken it was Sammy Sanchez out of Nadines in Hollywood that started doing this to charvels when he would have them in for setups. It was an option that he did as part of his setup.

Your 5 digit is def an aftermarket mod.
                  Last edited by voodoosound; 06-29-2011, 09:03 PM.

Comment

I agree the cutout is not factory original to the guitar. It was probably done later, but it could have been done at the Charvel factory. Who knows? Sometimes the owner sent it back to the factory to have work done. Anyway...someone did a very clean job on it.

IMO it doesn't lessen the value or the desirability of the guitar at all.

Comment

While it's correct that in mid 83 charvel did start offering this as part of the custom build there were very few requests. I know of only 3 in my 30 years of collecting charvels, playing them and being best friends with a few that worked at charvel in the early to mid 80s. Like I said if charvel did it they did it before it got painted. No need for black sharpie to hide the hole. If I am not mistaken it was Sammy Sanchez out of Nadines in Hollywood that started doing this to charvels when he would have them in for setups. It was an option that he did as part of his setup.

Your 5 digit is def an aftermarket mod.

mines an 82' so its not a 5 digit...
                      5 digits are 1981

its just one of those things...you cannot prove without work orders...but def. a smart mod...unlike adding pickups or knobs or floyds or even worse ....kahlers!

Comment

Originally posted by Guitar_Symphony View Post
                        mines an 82' so its not a 5 digit...
                        5 digits are 1981

its just one of those things...you cannot prove without work orders...but def. a smart mod...unlike adding pickups or knobs or floyds or even worse ....kahlers!
                        I wasn't refering to your 82 I was refering to the black 5 digit that got you banned from usacharvels for trying to pass off as a prepro without the plate?
                        Last edited by voodoosound; 06-29-2011, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyr View Post
                          I agree the cutout is not factory original to the guitar. It was probably done later, but it could have been done at the Charvel factory. Who knows? Sometimes the owner sent it back to the factory to have work done. Anyway...someone did a very clean job on it.

IMO it doesn't lessen the value or the desirability of the guitar at all.
                          It may not lessen the desirability but it does indeed lessen the value. It's a mod like any other that can not be reveresed.

Comment

I wasn't refering to your 82 I was refering to the black 5 digit that got you banned from usacharvels for trying to pass off as a prepro without the plate?
                            I just passed the info the original owner told me..that was all...he went from saying it had a plate with a 4 digit serial # to finally saying it was plain brass..i also contacted the builder of the particular guitar..he said it might have had a plain plate according to the production numbers in the pockets,....and the new owner is a usacharvels.com member and is more than happy and knows the whole story (we have both been back and forth with the orig. owner on the plate issue) most and almost all of the whole story was never posted...just posts trying to vilify me in some way.but to alot of collectors who know me and those who know the whole story know this is not true..........also I was not banned for that, and obviously you know nothing about the situation....
                            and to bring up the 5 digit makes no since..because it never had the route.....heres a pic. to refresh your memory..obviously you have forgotten. and im unsure on what you are trying to prove by bringing it up..

and to say it lessens the value for that particular mod depends on the buyer....if they are a really anal collector maybe it will matter ...but a "real" player we dont mind...its a kind of plus. (on a side note there are very few 100% original charvels out there..."some may surprise you")
                            would not be surprised to see 3k + on that red strat head ...because in better times its a 4k guitar. maybe if we look back we will see the fugly white 3 tite charvel with the added splatter paint hit almost 3k.....the little notch for the truss rod will look like nothing in comparison.
                            Last edited by Guitar_Symphony; 06-30-2011, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Also on a side note....Andy Cains guitars are all top notch..he is being more than fair with the no reserve auctions he has been running...just look at the factory floyd white pearl with pickguard that went for a mere $1,7xx...and the explorer strat head that went for $1,800.......those were both great buys at killer prices.....I used to own both of them..I know how great they are...

and STEVE,

here's a pic of mine for comparison...#1429
                              she has the same notch. and to anyone who is looking for an old charvie know how rare they are...beggars cannot be choosers in the charvel world..and if the only issue is a notch for the truss rod..consider yourself lucky..just try and find another for sale....mine doesn't bother me at all..and i have owned quite a few.

Last edited by Guitar_Symphony; 06-30-2011, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X