So I got my USA So-Cal last night....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I got my USA So-Cal last night....

And just as expected, I am beyond pleased. Candy Green with EVH Frankenstein and Pearly Gates pickups.
    First thing I did was change the strings as they were the original strings on the guitar.. and you could tell. The action was a bit high so I cranked it down a bit. The combination of the new Ernie Ball strings and the length of time I played it already has a nice dirty look beginning for form (I personally love that).

The only dislike, and it is not guitar specific, is that I HATE string trees. They drive me nuts during string changes.

I'm curious as to how low some of you have got the action on these? I set my guitars up to 1/16th of an inch at the 12th fret and that is a good spot for me but it seems like this can go lower!

String tree? Mine came with a retainer bar. You got robbed!

But yeah, when they get angled and don't want to slide back in place, it's maddening. They fall easy enough, but getting them back up just as easily ain't happening

I never did get any of the ones I've owned to get really low low action like I can with Jackson bolt-ons. I didn't shim the necks (that I recall), but it got low enough for no more than I used them for (mostly old Iron Maiden).
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by guitarzan_josh View Post
      And just as expected, I am beyond pleased. Candy Green with EVH Frankenstein and Pearly Gates pickups.
      First thing I did was change the strings as they were the original strings on the guitar.. and you could tell. The action was a bit high so I cranked it down a bit. The combination of the new Ernie Ball strings and the length of time I played it already has a nice dirty look beginning for form (I personally love that).

The only dislike, and it is not guitar specific, is that I HATE string trees. They drive me nuts during string changes.

I'm curious as to how low some of you have got the action on these? I set my guitars up to 1/16th of an inch at the 12th fret and that is a good spot for me but it seems like this can go lower!
      I own a newer MIJ and the action is SICK LOW! the fret work on mine is like it was pleked!

Comment

So-Cal's come with Dimarzio TZ and Evolution, not Pearly Gates afaik, so it's likely that the strings are not original too

Comment

Originally posted by rgx View Post
          So-Cal's come with Dimarzio TZ and Evolution, not Pearly Gates afaik, so it's likely that the strings are not original too
          Brock (here on the board) states they were the original strings. ...and trust me, they looked it. He could have easily slacked the strings and got that pickguard out!

Comment

Don't need to slack the strings on a floyd, just pop the springs and pull the bridge out.

Comment

You don't have to have the string retainer on there. But, if you remove it you are in for some fun when you lock down the strings. The retainer is there for a very good reason.
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Yeah. It definitely does what it is supposed to. I just hate threading the strings under the dang thing. Esp the low E.
                Another reason to love those angled headstocks on a Jackson and BC rich.

Comment

Working...
                X