No announcement yet.

My new Custom Shop Charvel has arrived!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new Custom Shop Charvel has arrived!

After an 8 month wait, my brand new Custom Shop Charvel has arrived. The inspiration for this guitar was the very first Charvel I ever saw in person in probably 1983. I was 16 or 17 years old and had heard of Charvels from articles with Eddie Van Halen and Randy Rhoads having Charvel build him his white V that became the first Jackson. But, I lived in Chicago and all this cool stuff was happening out in LA, so these Charvels were just mythical beasts.

So one sunny day, my band was doing an outdoor gig at a small summer festival. The band we opened for was from Phoenix. We were all young and thought we were extremely bad ass to be playing the types of gigs we were getting. Then they came out and SAT US DOWN big time. The guitarists name was John and he had long, big black hair and had this whole Eddie Van Halen sort of look to him. At this point, I was having to battle my parents over every single inch of length my hair got, and I normally lost. But this John guys parents obviously weren't making him get his hair cut. :yes:

So anyway, he came out looking really cool, and running and jumping around and was a really, really good player. He had a Marshall half stack, a Boss Super Overdrive and a Boss Chorus. His tone was really cool too. But what I remember was his guitar. It was half black and half white, split horizontally down the center. He had a single humbucker, a chrome Floyd Rose, and this dirty, worn in maple neck with a strat headstock. I couldn't recognize the logo but in talking to him afterwards, he mentioned Charvel. We played several more gigs with them over that summer and that guitar became my dream guitar, mainly because of how kick ass his playing was.

So fast forward to August 2010 when I was coming up with the specs for my first brand new Charvel Custom Shop since 1984. I have thought of John's guitar 10,000 times over the years and always wished I would find it somewhere. Anyway, you can guess what I ordered. My only change from my memory of John's guitar was a single coil in the neck which makes the guitar much more usable for me.

I have never seen my Fed Ex guy move so slowly. COME ON DUDE!!!

So here it is:

And even cooler, I am friends with Joe in final assembly and setup in the Custom Shop and here is a shot of him finishing up my guitar before shipping.

I am totally thrilled with mine. It plays phenomenally and sounds absolutely killer. I had it loaded with an Arcane Brownbucker in the bridge and an Arcane '69 Experience in the neck. The only thing I keep going back on is whether I should have had that neck single installed because John's didn't have that, but when I flip to it I just smile because it sounds so cool.

Very cool! I like it with the neck single on it. Even if you never use it I think it would look empty without it there.
    "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
    I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

Awesome!!! Congrats on your new Charvel.

Comment

That's awesome!! I was thinking about doing a diagonal black/white like that on my flat black Charvel. That's wicked dude! Congrats!

Comment

Nice!!! (All except for that single...)

Kidding!
          Very cool!
          Hardware: all black, all the time.

Comment

Way cool mate...love it.

Comment

Looks great.
              No custom shop logo? Or is that an up charge nowadays?
              Jackson KV2
              Jackson KE1T
              Jackson KE1F
              Jackson SL1

Comment

Kickass! I think this is the first NGD thread I've seen that included actual pics of the FedEx guy! A++

Comment

Originally posted by Larz View Post
                  Looks great.
                  No custom shop logo? Or is that an up charge nowadays?
                  It has the Custom Shop logo on the back of the headstock. I was going for old school vibe so I didn't want it on the front. As for upcharges, Charvel just re-did their price lists for ordering guitars. They haven't raised prices since 2008. I was pretty worried since I now want another one of these really bad. But they didn't touch the base price and only had some small upcharges here and there but lowered the prices on some items too. Painted headstock to match the body is now free for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                    Kickass! I think this is the first NGD thread I've seen that included actual pics of the FedEx guy! A++
                    My Fed Ex guy is really cool. We both have the same car and are car freaks so we're always talking cars. When mine is dirty, I sure hear it from him.

Comment

Nice guitar, reminds me of that Star Trek episode in the original series.
                      Cool way to have a little reminder of those fun days of the "good times".
                      I like the fact they took a photo of it by a white/black cabinet in the background.

Comment

That looks sweet man, grats

Comment

That looks like a cool, straight up rock & roll machine. I dig the small logo. And H-S layouts rule. Congrats.

Comment

ver nice looking

Comment

I want one!
                              Killer axe man, I've been developing GAS for a new Charvel, and this doesn't help.
                              I would like to type 'nice' a hundred times, but it'll never say how I feel about Charvel.
                              Congrats!
                              "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

Working...
                              X