Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US San Dimas maple freatboard conditioning question

Hello everybody!!

I have a question regarding my USA san dimas 2H freatboard cleaning. i have the guitar for about a year and although my hand do not sweat easily, i think a little bit of cleaning is order to restore it to its best condition, grasping the opportunity as i just installed a bare knuckle holydiver and i'm about to change a new set of strings.

The thing is that i cannot find an answer where the freatboard is totally unfinished or it has a gunstock oil finish like the back of the neck. I have a dunlop freatboard 65 ultimate lemon oil product that i have used for years on other guitars with rosewood freatboard, but this is my first all maple guitar and am a bit worried not to cause any trouble on it, i know for example that on finished maple boards lemon oil is a no go.

Can i use the dunlop one on the charvel or another solution is in order?

Thank you in advance!
    Stelios

Naptha

Comment

Naptha? So i'm correct to assume that the freatboard on the charvel is finished with gunstock oil also (If i remember correctly naptha is used to clean the finished maple boards)??

Comment

I believe Dunlop recommends NOT using their cleaner/conditioner fingerboard kit on maple necks (The 01 Cleaner & Prep and 02 Deep conditioner). The general 65 Polish/cleaner will probably be fine I think since they don't mention specifically not to use it like the other products.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

A little naptha (lighter fluid is the same thing) on a rag will clean the gunk off of a finished or unfinished maple fretboard, and it won't hurt the wood at all. It works better than anything else to get the grey crap from string corrosion out of the wood. Lemon oil doesn't work well for that, imo. If you're still worried about it being too harsh, try Scott's Liquid Gold furniture cleaner/conditioner. Main ingredient: Naptha.
          Last edited by dg; 04-16-2011, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Napta works fine on a unfinished maple fretboard, but so does lemon oil. I use lemon oil on all my Charvel maple boards without problem. You don't want to drown the board. I put a little on a cotton cloth and rub the fretboard to get off the grime and that's it. I guess it conditions it some, but doesn't leave any excess. Hope that helps.

Comment

I did lemon oil on an unfinished maple board of a 1995 USA Charvel once. ONCE. It attracted dirt. I won't do it again. It discolored everything. You might have different luck, but just wanted to throw that out there.

Comment

So Naptha it is...just to be on tha safe side! On more question, can i use it on the back of the neck (with the gunstock oil finish) to clean it up a bit?

Thanks a lot for all your answers!!

Comment

Anyone tried Gorgomyte?

I bought some from FU but haven't used it yet.

Comment

Here's a thread on Gorgomyte:

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/114...ight=gorgomyte

I hadn't read the part where he says he was still getting black fingertips for quite a while after using it. That's exactly what you don't want on a maple fretboard, imo.

Comment

I bought a couple of packets of Gorgomyte recently. It cleaned up the frets on a Jackson KVX10 I was selling really well. I used it on an ESP LTD M-200FM that I hadn't played in about a year - the fret wire was actually starting to rust a bit and, again, it cleaned it up really well. As stated above, however, I'm still getting black fingertips three weeks or so after using it. I'm not sure if it's just the LTD or if I just used too much on it but I don't seem to get anything off of my Charvel.

All my guitars have rosewood boards and I usually just use GHS Fast Fret. I'd recommend Gorgomyte but I can't see myself using it every time I re-string a guitar. The stuff stinks as well.

Comment

I use Gorgomyte and GHS Fast Fret together on my SoCal. The Gorgo really gets the frets shining like new, but turns the neck black with impurities. I wipe it for a good 10 minutes and then hit it with Fast Fret to seep into the neck and then wipe it down again. The Fast Fret gets rid of the smell and helps remove the black stuff. I've done that and never had my fingers turn black. It's tedious and takes time, but the neck looks and feels amazing so I put in the time.
                        Ratt & Roll

Comment

I've tried usual Dunlop 65 guitar cleaner. it worked fine for the maple fretboard.
                          Charvel Solar (2/10)
                          Charvel USA San Dimas
                          Jackson CS Dinky

Comment

Originally posted by TX-Joe View Post
                            Anyone tried Gorgomyte?

I bought some from FU but haven't used it yet.
                            Just like Adam says..."it's good shit" Love the stuff...works great
                            Todd M

Comment

Working...
                            X