Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you help me identify this San Dimas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you help me identify this San Dimas?

http://img822.imageshack.us/f/0151n.jpg/

http://img852.imageshack.us/f/0161e.jpg/

http://img823.imageshack.us/f/0171z.jpg/

http://img856.imageshack.us/f/0181f.jpg/

http://img823.imageshack.us/f/0191n.jpg/

http://img24.imageshack.us/f/0201sl.jpg/

Sellers says it's a US SD made about the same time when Charvel was revived a few years ago.

I'd like to know more about it if you can share the info.
    My sane reasoning tells me to not buy it since the money's needed for some medical work on my knee but it'd be even more insane to let this pass by at the price I'm offered.
    Beside the obvious details like it being Blue and having a floyd (on the other hand, what brand of Floyd is it?), etc.

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Usercool; 04-07-2011, 04:56 PM.

it is one of the "newer" post-Fender Charvels. Made in USA
    www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
    My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

What was the price when it was new?

Comment

Originally posted by Usercool View Post
        What was the price when it was new?
        List was around 1900$, street apparently lower. I've bought one used for 600$ last year.

Comment

I guess the one you are looking at is from around 2005. If so, this is valid:

USA Standard San Dimas Guitars.

The USA Standard models are built to the same high quality specifications as the original Charvel® guitars, including the famous "broken in" neck feel. Each guitar is hand built using the finest wood, hardware, and pickups to produce a true Hot Rod Guitar at a mass production price. Many New Old Stock (NOS) Charvel parts are used, along with the newest advances in parts technology, bringing you the best of both worlds.

Specs:
          Alder body, bolt-on quartersawn Eastern hard rock maple neck with specially formulated oil finish, 1 11/16" nut width, 22 Jumbo frets, 25 1/2" scale length, Compound Radius fingerboard, Seymour Duncan pickups, Floyd Rose Original tremolo, and black hardware.

Candy Blue

List price: $2,269.99 w/case
          Henrik
          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Do the necks feel the same as the more recent San Dimas reissues?

I actually thought it was going to be a newer San Dimas until he sent me pictures.
            I had a Slime Green San Dimas but sold it last year and I still regret it.
            That was the most perfect neck I've ever played.

And when they say 'Floyd Rose Original tremolo', I'm guessing it's the same MIK one as on the more recent USA production models?

Thanks.

Comment

Do the necks feel the same as the more recent San Dimas reissues?

I actually thought it was going to be a newer San Dimas until he sent me pictures.
              I had a Slime Green San Dimas but sold it last year and I still regret it.
              That was the most perfect neck I've ever played.

And when they say 'Floyd Rose Original tremolo', I'm guessing it's the same MIK one as on the more recent USA production models?

Thanks.
              The neck should be thinner than on production model, at least on mine it is. And the trem should be MIG, not MIK like on the production models.

Comment

I'll just have to feel the neck for myself then.

"formulated oil finish"

Is this tung oil?
                Do they feel raw like the ones on the newer Standards or more glossy?

Comment

I believe it's a gunstock oil, which is basically the same thing. And it feels great. And if you take some 0000 steelwool and rub your production model neck a little, it will feel just as good

Comment

Gunstock oil is not really an oil finish. It feels like raw wood, though.

Comment

These came with the MIG Floyds.
                      -------------------------
                      Blank yo!

Comment

Hmmmm, all answers I'd like to hear.

I think I'll go check it out tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by rgx View Post
                          The neck should be thinner than on production model, at least on mine it is.
                          The neck on my '05 Star was thin but not too thin. It was very similar to the "speed neck" profile on the Jackson KV1 and KV2 that Dave Mustaine prefers.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            The neck on my '05 Star was thin but not too thin. It was very similar to the "speed neck" profile on the Jackson KV1 and KV2 that Dave Mustaine prefers.
                            That's interesting, because I have a 2005 SD and the neck is really thin, I'm not familiar with "speed neck" profile as I never had a chance to try a KV, but it's definately thinner and overall smaller than Ibanez Wizard (I mean the original one or contemporary "Super Wizard"), and I've tried another '05 SD with the vintage trem as well and it had the same neck, but another '05 with the floyd had a noticeably thicker, although still very thin neck.

Comment

Now I'm really curious to see how thick it'll be.

Comment

Working...
                              X