2005 Pointy Reissue body / headstock Refin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Pointy Reissue body / headstock Refin

I am considering having my 2005 pointy reissue refinished and would like to have the headstock painted to match the body.

Does anyone know if the headstock is laminated and whether this is problematic when repainting / finishing?

I'd also like to get the Charvel logo painted on the headstock. Not sure if that is possible.

Thanks

It used to be a black plastic laminate. Not sure what they do now. I assume you would just paint over it. The logo is a decal. But you could have it painted as well... But I don't know who would do that.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Check with Dan Lawrence about the refin. I think he has repainted headstocks with the Jackson and Charvel logos. Here's his site. While you're there, check out his gallery with some killer pics.

http://www.drlgrafx.com/

Comment

John at Doberman guitars(ulijdavid on the forum) did nice work on my midl series neck, though upit was not relogo'd. Mike Learn did an awesome job on my HRF and now is an authorized J/C repair center.
        Blank yo!

Comment

Here is a refin of a Model 4 that I had done. I think it is called a phenolic cap on the headstock, and it is not an issue for a skiller painter. The decal is from Best Decals, and can be set in the clear coat without ridges by a skilled painter as well. Marty Bell did the work. BD no longer advertises the JC decals, but it is unsettled as to whether they will actually still make them or not.

Comment

Dan lawrence will not re logo guitar necks. He does mask them off though
            This space for rent

Comment

Thanks for the all of the responses.

I have taken a look at both Mike Learn's and Dan Lawrence's work. Both are fantastic artists. Just need to decide what exactly I want done.

I may just leave the headstock as is. It would be nice to have the headstock match the body though. I love the pointy headstock but I am not too keen on the laminate.

I had a feeling that repainting or re doing the logo might be an issue for some of the refinish guys.

I also sent an email to Charvel asking what the headstock laminate material was...haven't heard back yet.

Comment

Originally posted by plexipwrd View Post
                . I love the pointy headstock but I am not too keen on the laminate.
                What's wrong with the laminate?
                Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                  What's wrong with the laminate?
                  I don't know...I guess I've seen some of them with the clear peel (for lack of a better term).

I would rather have it be all wood so that I could have it painted. I am not convinced that painting plastic / laminate would hold up very well over time.

Comment

Working...
                  X