Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question About Putting a Fixed Bridge in Pro Mods...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Putting a Fixed Bridge in Pro Mods...

Hi all,

Noob here from Australia again...

I`ve got a San Dimas 2, also looking at buying a So-Cal, also looking for some-one down here to bulid me a custom Wildcard.

To cut a long story short, the Floyd Rose has to go/ can`t be there and yeah I know about the `cavity` and no I don`t want it locked off I just want it gone!

I don`t know alot about guitars except for how to play them so I`ll have to source the parts and pay some-one to do the job...

I`m asking for some suggestions of a high quality fixed bribge that will go straight into a Pro Mod Series...

Thanks,
    Noob

Buy a different guitar.

Why do you want to do this? This is the kind of garbage you do to a $120 guitar you bought off Ebay, and then sell it on Ebay for $75.

Sorry to be harsh but I'm just trying to give you an idea of how stupid I think this idea is. Don't take it personally.

Seriously, why not just BLOCK THE TREMOLO?

If that isn't good enough you truly should just buy a different guitar.

Comment

+1

Buy a hardtail strat. You'd be taking a neck that already has a Floyd nut and a body that already has a Floyd route and somehow converting it. Not worth it.

Order a custom shop charvel.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Nothing wrong with the idea, IMO. It's different, but certainly not "stupid". Everyone had their chance to "save these from the crazy people" and passed it up. If someone comes along with these ideas, you lost the right to bash them for it.

That said, you could find someone skilled at woodworking (not some weekend warrior that has paint-splattered everything and 5 teeth in his head) and have them cut a solid block insert to seal the trem cavity. Mount the hardtail to that, and replace the locking nut with a non-locking alternative.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
          Everyone had their chance to "save these from the crazy people" and passed it up. If someone comes along with these ideas, you lost the right to bash them for it.
          Not sure I follow this comment.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

A blocked Floyd really does make for a nice fixed bridge. Don't rule it out. You get a massive hunk of steel back there, long saddle travel length for intonation, easy bridge height adjustment, and fine tuners to boot. I'd take that over a TOM any day.

Comment

I agree with this, Block the floyd for no movement, and then you will have double locking stability, and restringing wont be much harder that stringing a hardtail with a std but, just got to to lock the strings, but this is simple IMO

Also then you dont have to do any woodworking

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                A blocked Floyd really does make for a nice fixed bridge. Don't rule it out. You get a massive hunk of steel back there, long saddle travel length for intonation, easy bridge height adjustment, and fine tuners to boot. I'd take that over a TOM any day.
                +1. And with the added mass after you block the Floyd. There will some nice sustain on that guitar. Push that note through a 4x12 stack and it'll feedback and ring for days. Niiiiice.

Comment

Nothing wrong with the idea, IMO. It's different, but certainly not "stupid". Everyone had their chance to "save these from the crazy people" and passed it up. If someone comes along with these ideas, you lost the right to bash them for it.

That said, you could find someone skilled at woodworking (not some weekend warrior that has paint-splattered everything and 5 teeth in his head) and have them cut a solid block insert to seal the trem cavity. Mount the hardtail to that, and replace the locking nut with a non-locking alternative.

What?

LOL Seriously it's not that hard. The question is not about JUST butchering a guitar for this, but it's just backwards engineering and with the way things are priced these days, it's a stupid idea. He'd get his moneys worth with a custom or maybe one of those legacies that are being discounted for about 1600$ US rather than having some guy take a SD , remove the Floyd Rose and then fill the entire cavity with wood. Cut the appropriate holes to fit the new bridge, sand entire guitar passed its clearcoat, repaint the guitar, clear it, fit the bridge, remove the locking nut, somehow make fill the holes there and not look like shit, install graphite or bone nut, re string, do some tests, fiddle until its playable, and there you go. OR buy a Charvel legacy with a v trem and deal with it or have a Custom built and leave the thing alone. Again, nothing wrong with modding things. Unless something is custom or perfect for me, than you can bet I will mod it to suit my needs. Adding a floyd rose to a v trem or hardtail guitar is like 200x easier to do and makes more sense. Just put it this way. You can take a slice of bread and make it toast, but you can take a toast and get that slice of bread back. Don't try to make toast into bread.

Check out those Charvel Legacies that are being liquidated at MW. Sick prices and really awesome guitars. A lot more valuable that a Pro Mod, and i'm sure you'll like it better.

Comment

+1. Paul Gilbert had a hardtail conversion done to his white Ibanez that originally had a Floyd.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Paul Gilbert has the Ibanez LACS at his feet. Also that was one of his cherished Pgm's from back in the day. If i one day decide to not use floyds and if i can keep and like a guitar for that long too then MAYBE il throw my money on it, but until then il just buy them the way i want them lol. Again, Paul Gilbert = Ibanez sponsor and guitar god. Ibanez probably builds him 1 guitar a month. Think back to all these really funky guitars he had built over the last few years that he made 1 or 2 youtube videos and then never saw it again. Like that reverse iceman with 3 singles .

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                        Not sure I follow this comment.
                        It means you had the chance to buy them all up to keep people from modding them and didn't. Plain and simple. Ergo, don't bash anyone who wants to mod one.

And who says the guitar has to be stripped and repainted?

A solid block of wood filling the cavity would be equal to the weight of the Floyd, claw, and springs.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I'm just saying its stupid, not impossible. If the guy wants to do it, he can. It'd be like someone buying a more expensive Convertible Mustang because he really wants to rip out the softtop, the mechanism and compressor to then weld and paint a new roof. It's not impossible. Anything can be done. The guy was asking for advice. The BEST advice is to go the simpler route. You can't argue that the result won't be better if he just bought a guitar designed to BE a hardtail. I am not, however, arguing the possibility of taking a Floyded axe and making it a hard tail. It is entirely possible. You could meet yourself half way and pick up one of these. http://www.floydrose.com/bridges/images/FR_fixed.jpg Would be a pretty cool mod. The cool part is the string change and tuning advantage of the speedloader, the shit part is the fact that you gotta use Floyd Strings and they are hard to come by locally.

Anyways to each their own. I'm not trying to offend you bud , but I've come up with my share of retarded fantasies on Forums and at the time they sounded good... let's just say I was happy there were people around with more experienced and wisdom to share or else I'd have wasted a lot of money.

Comment

Block the floyd and be done with it simple as that.
                            Why go thru the hassle measuring for a hard tail and all the added work involved.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I put a Kahler fixed bridge on a model 1 and it sounded and played great,but you still see the Floyd posts.

Comment

Working...
                              X