Question about USA Charvel Promod serial numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about USA Charvel Promod serial numbers

Did these have 4 digit, 6 digit, or a mixture of both on the neckplates? I thought the 4 digit were limited to CS, but swear I've seen them with a 4 digit serial. For example, this ebay seller parts out all types of guitars, including promods,and this is a 4 digit serial. I don't think he'd part out a custom shop, right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...T#ht_805wt_905
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

I'll check my 2 USAs when I get home!
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

6 on my 2 with 00 prefix
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

I'm not 100% sure, but I think straycat has an early promod that has a 4-digit plate in the 8xxx range. IIRC, the thinking was that his may have been a demo to be shown to dealers, or something like that. Hopefully, I'm remembering right & he'll chime in here. At any rate, I think 4-digit plates are super rare on promods.

Here it is in this thread:

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/844...s-side-by-side
        Last edited by dg; 02-02-2011, 11:53 PM.

Comment

My SoCal is ser# 001525

Comment

That is a Custom Shop plate.

Comment

Agreed that it's a CS plate, but it's very close to the number on the CS plate used on straycat's promod, so I wouldn't want to bet that it didn't come off a very early promod.

Just checked the serial chart to see if the plate # was there, and it looks like quite a few between 8315 and 8350 or so are listed as "dealer rep promod":

http://weber.de1.cc/charvel/8000-8499.html

I didn't realize there were that many of them.

Comment

I think the rep guitars were "ringers" too.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                  I think the rep guitars were "ringers" too.
                  Rep guitars, interesting. Thanks for the info! BTW, what do you mean by ringers...like they're used to win games in the softball league?!
                  "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

That's it man - build a few top notch guitars and show them around - then wham - switcheroo - ship a ton of assembly line cookie cutters.

This is really nothing new. Prototypes are always built to demonstrate how the final product should be built. They'll always tend to be more hand-crafted than the assembly line product - simply because of the assembly line is not going to be up and running to produce them.
                    Blank yo!

Comment

Ah, the old bait and switch! I see now
                      Last edited by MetalMedal II; 02-03-2011, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I wouldn't say that the Custom Shop built the Rep guitars (although, I guess it's possible...) but you can bet they were a cut above the typical Pro mod.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                          but you can bet they were a cut above the typical Pro mod.
                          And... They were parted outt just like the regular ones...
                          Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                            My SoCal is ser# 001525
                            My San Dimas is ser# 006802

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                              And... They were parted outt just like the regular ones...
                              I'd love to be the guy who got THAT neck for $300... Probably.

Comment

Working...
                              X