Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about cut-away sizes on Charvel Pro Mod Series

G`day mates, newbie here from Oztralia.

I recently purchased a Charvel San Dimas 2 2H. I`m very impressed with this axe except for the lower cut-away which I find very restrictive at the top of the upper register (the lower cut-away is alot smaller then my 88 MIJ Fender Strat).

I`m after another Charvel with a larger lower cut-away...
    Are the lower cut-aways on the So-Cal and Wildcard models any larger?
    Has anyone found them restrictive?

I can`t try any of these axes before I purchase as we have none here in Bris Vegas.
    I can only on reviews and photos on the internet.

I need some feedback before I purchase and import.

Thanks

No. The bodies are all the same dimension. Perhaps you should check out a dinky.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

+1 They are going to be the same all around, except the Dinky.

The only Dinky in production currently is the Warren DeMartini signature guitar, and it's about 3x the cost of the ones you're talking about, in USD. May be more or less for you in Australia, because of import taxes and what have you but it's not cheap is my point.

Comment

Actually.. the poster said hes got the style 2.. Tele body style.. so any of the strat shapes will have a little more room to boogie
        http://www.reverbnation.com/#/themightypragmatics

Comment

+1
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
            +1 They are going to be the same all around, except the Dinky.

The only Dinky in production currently is the Warren DeMartini signature guitar, and it's about 3x the cost of the ones you're talking about, in USD. May be more or less for you in Australia, because of import taxes and what have you but it's not cheap is my point.
            this, unless you go custom shop and order a larger cutout, There's always a Jackson demon.

I had one of the new BCR Gunslinger's and found the cutout to be a little larger, but they're no charvel.
            Last edited by The Rossness; 02-02-2011, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by J_A / 540s View Post
              Actually.. the poster said hes got the style 2.. Tele body style.. so any of the strat shapes will have a little more room to boogie

Wow, um, so compare a Tele to a Strat. The Charvel San Dimas Style 1 is like a Strat body, very little difference. Good catch dude.

Comment

I can`t try any of these axes out cause like I said we aint got none here...
                I can only go by the pix of them and it looks to me like the San Dimas 1 and 2 have the same lower cutaway but the So-Cal and Wildcard might have a larger lower cutway that`s maybe a bit more like my strat.

I`m gonna ask the same question to some gee-tar sellers on evil pay, I`ll let you know what they say.

Comment

I'm telling you, the only difference between the San Dimas Style 1 and the So Cal and Wildcard is the paint/configuration - they are all Charvel Strat bodies.

The Style 2 is completely different, being a Tele copy.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                    I'm telling you, the only difference between the San Dimas Style 1 and the So Cal and Wildcard is the paint/configuration - they are all Charvel Strat bodies.

The Style 2 is completely different, being a Tele copy.

Good luck!
                    So are you saying the 1, So-Cal and Wildcard has a larger lower cutaway then the 2?
                    Last edited by Mr Sandman; 02-04-2011, 07:02 AM.

Comment

If it does, it's not by much. Why do you think Vai shaved the lower horn of his down? That's where the thinner lower horn thing got started.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Sandman View Post
                        So are you saying the 1, So-Cal and Wildcard has a larger lower cutaway then the 2?
                        No, I'm saying you're comparing a Tele (Style 2) to a Strat (your Strat, the So Cal, SD Style 1, all of the wildcards so far) so if your Fender Strat is more to your liking then I would expect the Charvel strat-style bodies to follow suit.

None of them is as good as a Soloist, though.

Comment

To simplify Strat body shape has a little more room in the cutaway than the Tele shape. All of the pro mod Strat shapes have the same cutaways.
                          http://www.reverbnation.com/#/themightypragmatics

Comment

Get out yer bandsaw
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                              Get out yer bandsaw
                              That comment may have been `tongue-in-cheek` on your behalf but seriously man, yes I`ve considered it, that would then make it some type of retarded looking surfcaster...
                              Last edited by Mr Sandman; 02-05-2011, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X