Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AM I Crazy for loving Charvels & not Jackson's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AM I Crazy for loving Charvels & not Jackson's?

I'm just curious if any of you guys feel the same or if I'm just crazy! Over the years I've owned probably 4 or 5 import Jackson's & recently a USA SL1 & never been happy with any of them. Every one of them (especialy the SL1 believe it or not have sounded like shit!) The two USA pro model Charvels I own sound amazing, stay in tune perfectly and feel better than any Jackson I've ever played. I own an old 80's ESP M-III & two Lynch sig models & ESP dominates anything in the tone department imo but my Charvels are every bit as good as my ESP's as far as feel, quality & damm near just as good at tone. So anyway it seems everyone on this forum loves both Jackson's & Charvel's but I honestly think USA Charvel's are far superior to Jackson's & I'm curious if any of you feel the same? I can't be the only one that loves one & not the other, can I?

I am trying to decide which one to go with for a custom guitar, so I am having a hard time with them, too. I really want a Strat headstock, but I guess you can get that with both, so I don't know.
    "Hard work is for people short on talent." -George Carlin

Comment

Hard to say I love both for different reasons.A lot of my Jackson's are 80's 90's and bolt on so they feel just like my Charvels.
      I have an 08 first run pro mod (dealer rep guitar) and I love it to death it feels like my old SD Charvel which I sold years ago.
      SD plated Jackson's feel every bit as good as a SD Charvel JMO.
      Last edited by straycat; 01-27-2011, 09:10 PM.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I love 'em both, but then mine generally have the typical traits (unbound maple board bolt on Charvels, ebony board neck thru Jacksons w binding / sharkfins). So they fill a slightly different 'niche'. I guess I have more Jacksons though, so maybe that says everything...
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Am I crazy for loving Jacksons and not having much interest in Charvels?

Comment

Nah your perfectly sane. Now if you said you love fenders more than jackson/charvels then yeah u may have some form of illness

Comment

I'm partially with you bro. I love Charvel's and love Jackson's a little less. I also don't like the RR/ soloist neck profile and that might have something to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rossness View Post
                I'm partially with you bro. I love Charvel's and love Jackson's a little less. I also don't like the RR/ soloist neck profile and that might have something to do with it.
                thats why you should sell me that rr24

Comment

I can't understand why you'd really like one and not the other since they're basically made by the same crew of guys, unless you're talking about Pro Mods, which were made by Charvel employees that were kind of borrowed from Fender using equipment borrowed from Fender that they took back to make the new Fender American Deluxe Strat with the 9.5 - 14" compound radius fretboard (new feature for 2010.)

They're all damned nice guitars... Including the Fender.

Comment

Well I don't care for 24 fret necks so that kills off most Jackson, ESP & damm near all Ibanez models & actually I did mention that I was referring to my USA Promods. Anyway the necks are entirely different on my Charvels as oppsosed to any Jackson I've played, they feel nothing alike, extremely rolled fretboard edges & the feact that they're 22 fret rather than 24 are huge differences.

Comment

New Jackson's suck ass compared to the old one's. Sad but true. Crew building them are probably irritated as all hell with Fender suit and tie guys looking over their shoulders. I'm sure it was way more fun before the acquisition from corporate giants.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultramagnus View Post
                        Well I don't care for 24 fret necks so that kills off most Jackson, ESP & damm near all Ibanez models
                        Do the extra frets confuse you? :think:

Originally posted by ps43203 View Post
                        New Jackson's suck ass compared to the old one's. Sad but true. Crew building them are probably irritated as all hell with Fender suit and tie guys looking over their shoulders. I'm sure it was way more fun before the acquisition from corporate giants.
                        The imports don't seem to be quite as nice but I think that's by design. As for the USA's, they actually don't suck ass compared to the old ones, and the crew building them are probably glad that they have jobs after AMIC almost ran the whole operation into the ground. That's my take.

Comment

I'd love Jacksons a little more if I owned a hot tub time machine and headed back to 1985. They need to move to a headstock similar to the Charvel. The pointy style is past it's prime. I do dig the jackson soloist body style better. Add a strat head and I'd be a jackson owner.

Comment

Originally posted by glennv View Post
                            I'd love Jacksons a little more if I owned a hot tub time machine and headed back to 1985. They need to move to a headstock similar to the Charvel. The pointy style is past it's prime. I do dig the jackson soloist body style better. Add a strat head and I'd be a jackson owner.
                            Yeah, I sometimes wish my SL1T didn't have a pointy headstock. I recently started playing a church gig and that is my main guitar because of it's versatility, ease of maintenance, and it is the most comfortable, easy to play guitar I own. But it works out because most people don't pay that much attention to that kind of thing regardless of whether you're in a church or a bar. A couple people have commented that it's a "beautiful guitar".....neither said anything about the headstock. Now if I took my RR1 to church (or wherever), I'm sure people would notice the points because the whole guitar is pointy.

Comment

I dont like the dinky or the soloist body much, so they really don't appeal to me.
                              -------------------------
                              Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                              X