Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AM I Crazy for loving Charvels & not Jackson's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AM I Crazy for loving Charvels & not Jackson's?

I'm just curious if any of you guys feel the same or if I'm just crazy! Over the years I've owned probably 4 or 5 import Jackson's & recently a USA SL1 & never been happy with any of them. Every one of them (especialy the SL1 believe it or not have sounded like shit!) The two USA pro model Charvels I own sound amazing, stay in tune perfectly and feel better than any Jackson I've ever played. I own an old 80's ESP M-III & two Lynch sig models & ESP dominates anything in the tone department imo but my Charvels are every bit as good as my ESP's as far as feel, quality & damm near just as good as far as tone. It seems everyone on this forum loves both Jackson's & Charvel's but I honestly think the USA Charvel's I've played & own are far superior to thier Jackson counterparts & I'm curious if any of you feel the same? I can't be the only one that loves one & not the other, can I? Come on guys be honest........
    Last edited by Ultramagnus; 01-17-2011, 03:18 AM.

ESP.

Comment

ESPee?

How about plural forms not getting an apostrophe?

And no, you're not crazy for liking Charvels more than Jacksons. The Charvels suit that 80s Hair Metal HotRod Strat vibe of many LA shredders like Lynch and DeMartini, and if that's what you're into, the decidedly non-Strattyness of Jackson bodies and necks are an understandable turn-off.

I'm just the opposite - I'm not infatuated with those guys or the whole Fender neck profile and body shape, and so am not all that impressed with Charvels. I had my fun with the ones I've had, but now I'm down to 1 Charvel and about 14 Jacksons.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I've been lovin Jacksons longtime but I have to agree. The past few years, Charvels have been my go to guitars. This is kind of why I started the 22/24 fret thread. I was really disappointed Charvel didn't make a showing at NAMM. I guess I'm also really diggin the whole strathead thing vs. the pointy as well. But honeslty, I don't own one Fender Strat. I wish I could find a Jackson SL2H that will pull me back.
        "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
        I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

I love Charvel's...all of the Jackson's I have played have been less than impressive.

No idea why, but I am Charvel all the way, too.

Comment

The only Charvel I have is a Predator. There is something about the way it feels and sounds thats much more aggressive than my Jacksons. IMO Jacksons are more finesse and Charvels are more beat your face in with a hammer. I like both. Which I play depends on my mood.
            Charvel Style 2 2H San Dimas
            Charvel Predator (Rainbow Crackle)
            Jackson Dinky Reverse Professional
            Jackson Soloist XL Professional
            Jackson KE3 Professional
            Jackson DK2 (Eerie Dess)
            Jackson DKMG
            Jackson DX10D Holoflash
            Jackson JS30DK
            Jackson JS30DKT
            Kramer Focus Flip-flop pink
            Digitech GNX 4
            Randall Half Stack

Comment

I used to play nothing but Jacksons. In the early ninties, I scoffed at Charvels, calling them "Jackson wannabes" or Jacksons "Low end." I had a whole stable of Jackson guitars and never played anything else. Then one day, I was cruising around a music store that my friend owned. I was bored, looking for something new, and he said "I know what you think of Charvels, but seriously, you should try this one. I had band practice that night, so he let me take it for the evening. I went back the next day and informed him that he was not getting it back, paid him for it, and haven't looked back since. I still own that guitar and to this day, I have yet to find a Jackson that can stand up to it.

Don't get me wrong, I still like Jacksons and usually pull one of mine out for the odd hairband cover that my band does. But for versatility, and tone, Charvel is my goto axe.
              Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

Bolt on neck maybe?
                In my experience more often than not it is superior in tone and sustain than neck thru.
                I have finalized my opinion based on what i own and have played that a neck thru is best with maple thru mahogany (to me) and offers a more rounded tone, better the neck is not super thin either.
                My BcRichs are just that and sound and sustain better than my RR1, to me.

Comment

I like Jackson Strats, which are pretty much pointy Charvels but with the cooler headstock logo.

Comment

I love the model series and bought my first Jackson, a DK2, because I wanted something close. I just wish either would bring back the model series style strats.

Comment

@OP

Not at all. Different music, different demographic, different guitars. An old school friend of mine with whom I started my first band with is interested in jamming a few times(possibly) (In the near future), and my So Cal will be my weapon of choice. It just feels more at home playing not-extreme-or-hair-metal.
                      I like EL34s.

Comment

I love my '85 Soloist, but I think neck-through guitars have a darker, less snappy tone compared to bolt-ons. And, I think Jackson ruined the Soloist with the recessed Floyd, carving away more wood, and changing the neck angle to be less comfy, IMHO.
                        '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
                        '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
                        '98 PRS Custom 22
                        '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

im a charvel man, my model 2 is every thing i look for in a guitar maybe until i get a cow 7.
                          no sig.....

Comment

Working...
                          X