Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to make a decision...SoCal 1-2H USA or Japanese?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to make a decision...SoCal 1-2H USA or Japanese?

Hey guys,

I can get a SoCal USA 'Pagan Gold' on sale for $799.00 (not overly fond of the color)

or

I can get a SoCal Japanese 'Snow White' for $899.00

Just looking for some advice...I was thinking that because production of these guitars has now been shifted to Japan that the USA models will be worth more $$ down the road?

I don't think the USA's will ever be worth much more than the MIJs. Go with whichever one feels better.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Thats why I bought my Char SD styl 1 and 2. Quality wise I dont know since i dont own a Japanese Charvel. Though my Gretsch g6128t-tvp is made in JP, and it is a work of art. Course it did cost bout 2k so it better have been. But made in JP doesnt mean lower qual.
      Jackson USA Select SL1T Soloist
      Charvel USA San Dimas Style 1 HSS
      Charvel USA San Dimas Style 2 2h
      Gretsch G6128T-TVP
      Gibson LP Traditional
      Gibson J-185 EC
      Hagstrom XL5
      Hagstrom Select Ultra Swede
      Walden T550 EC

Comment

i have three USA's and two MIJ models. I like the neck better on the USAs.

Comment

People are already trying to jack up the prices on the USA's. I saw one of those Reno's limited "snow white" deals for something like $1250 or $1500 the other day.

No one will ever pay a lot for one of those USA Production Models, that is in their right mind. It's a mass-produced budget guitar. They're great players for the money but they're not an investment.

Comment

I think they are sitting. I saw several nice used USA's in great shape sitting for $650 for a long time.
            "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Oh, here it is. $1647 buy-it-now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Comment

and here's one that just sold for half that price.
                http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-Charvel-San...item4cf44b58b4

Comment

The Japaense make great guitars if they want to, but I'd find a nice used minty USA for 649- 799 and pocket the diff......just sayin'

If playability is equal, if the components are equal, and if the price is equal (or less in some cases) take the USA's. if nothing else, once the MIJ's get out there used they'll be worth less on the used market than the USA ones. Neither will be highly collectible ( I could always be wrong), but the USA ones will always be assumed to be better and so will hava higher resale value. Sort of Like Honda vs. Oldsmobile except in reverse.....
                  Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
                  98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

I have some of both, they are of very similar quality. The neck on the MIJ is actually slightly better in my opinion, but overall they are so close that I would say go for whichever color/style you prefer. Either way you will get a great value for the dollar if you shop around, there are plenty to be had.

Comment

Used USA FOR THE WWIINN
                      Wish I could add Pics to this thing!!

Comment

Originally posted by tcwil8 View Post

and here's one that just sold for half that price.
                        http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-Charvel-San...item4cf44b58b4
                        While it looks similar, that is NOT A Reno limited run. That guitar was a factory blem and probably is a slightly different color and has the Jazz/JB pickups. The Reno's are "Snow Drift" and have different SD pickups than a usual San Dimas. I know, cuz I got one...lol.

And no, that limited is NOT worth that idiot's BIN price ($1600+). These limited runs were the same price as a Pro Mod...$1,099 brand new.
                        Last edited by MarkThomas; 01-14-2011, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkThomas View Post
                          While it looks similar, that is NOT A Reno limited run. That guitar was a factory blem and probably is a slightly different color and has the Jazz/JB pickups. The Reno's are "Snow Drift" and have different SD pickups than a usual San Dimas. I know, cuz I got one...lol.

And no, that limited is NOT worth that idiot's BIN price ($1600+). These limited runs were the same price as a Pro Mod...$1,099 brand new.
                          Interesting, I stand corrected. I don't recall that color combo as a normal run so maybe it's been modified or I'm just huffing too much paint again. In any event, the limited edition is sweet but like you stated, not even close to worth $1600.

Comment

Originally posted by tcwil8 View Post
                            Interesting, I stand corrected. I don't recall that color combo as a normal run so maybe it's been modified or I'm just huffing too much paint again. In any event, the limited edition is sweet but like you stated, not even close to worth $1600.
                            You are exactly right...only white pups in a white Charvel for the past several years have been the limited done by Reno's. Either this is a Reno's blem (unlikely, since that limited run was done well over a year ago), or Charvel had blem bodies laying around and just threw whatever pickups were laying around in them. They are other Pro Mod blems being sold by same place, but they are actual Pro Mods...so who knows what's going on? First time I have ever seen Charvel blems, too.

And that limited that guy is selling is worth whatever another used Pro Mod in that condition is worth. Sure, it is only 1 of 20 and all 20 were sold, but it is still basically a Pro Mod.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys...much appreciated.

I decided on the MIJ So Cal white with black pick guard for $899

Gonna get me a Fender G-Dec 3 30 watt as they are on sale currently $100 cheaper at my local music shop...I like the idea of being able to connect to my laptop using the Fender Fuse software...I am looking forward to it.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X