Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '82 Charvel strat mutt w/pics

Hi guys, check this out.

I came across this guitar recently, it belongs to a guy I bought a Model 4 two years ago. He called me up and said he's got this '82 Charvel strat and I should come and check it out.

I know, I know, i didn't GTWGITS

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It has an JB/'59 combo. Left of the trem it's a sticker so don't worry about it. It has chrome OFR posts though... The body should be alder, right?

I didn't got the chance to pull the neck from the body to actually check the date in the neck pocket, so I have to take his word for it to be an '82

Since it's a mutt, it doesn't have the original neck plate so the serial number ID is also not possible.

The neck (if not the body also) was obviously on a guitar with vintage trem, and his tech did the conversion for OFR nut. Also, he sealed the screw holes where string retainers used to be, and on the back of the headstock too, i guess the guitar had vintage tuners in the first place. He swapped them out with schallers which aren't even screwed in :think: Fretboard is rosewood w/pearl dots.

The neck feels a lot chunkier than my Models 1a and 4 but i found it very comfortable to play.

Anywayz, I wanted to ask you this guys: he wants to trade this axe for my Ibanez Prestige 1570 w/dimarzios without any cash thrown in. Do you think it's a fair trade and how much a USA mutt like this would cost anyway? And can you tell are the parts really USA made, as far as the neck and the body are concerned?
    Two guitars are better than one.

I might be wrong but I don't think that neck is a charvel neck. If I were you I would get pictures of the neck heal and neck pocket on the body.

Comment

I'd agree re: the neck - the headstock profile isn't right. Look at the shape of the "ball" part - more Fender-like than Charvel.

Comment

End of the fretboard is also not Charvel.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

how about even more obvious no skunk stripe and the logo is fmic. There is nothing on that guitar that is 82 and the neck is NOT charvel.
          Last edited by voodoosound; 01-09-2011, 11:28 AM.

Comment

also, is it me or is the gap between the bridge pup and bridge a little big... and the bridge doesnt seem straight in the pics or am i just imagining things?

Comment

I was thiking that too, the gap is too big. And bridge is straight. I totally agree with all you guys, starting from the headstock shape to the end of the fretboard, it's not a Charvel. Maybe just the body. I'll pass on the trade. But nonetheless, very comfortable playing guitar...
              Two guitars are better than one.

Comment

I would have passed too.The body looks close, belly cut is correct.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                X