Finally done with my SD1...I think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally done with my SD1...I think

I've got 3 USA Pro-Mods, and for the most part, it was not my intention to make any changes to them, as I really dug them the way they came from the factory. For one of those guitars, I've stuck to that...My Trans-Red Ale So Cal is just perfect as it is...the finish is amazing (for anyone looking for the nicest USA pro-mod...this is the one). That said, I tend to like the Duncan equipped San Dimas Strats and Tellies better...in terms of sound, anyway.
    So I didn't want to do much with the Telly...but when I saw pick guards were being made by a member of this very site, I had to get one. Stock, they look a little plain. The pickguard completely changed the look of this guitar in a good way.
    Finally...my Trans Kandy was another I didn't intend on changing...but one mod turned into two...two into four, etc. At the end of the day, the guitar hasn't been changed dramatically (like a paint job changes a guitar pretty dramatic). But I did add some different hardware.
    Here it is...I think it turned out well. I don't really have anymore ideas...but I'm certainly up for suggestions. I'll tell you right now...somebody suggested I chrome out the bridge saddles the last time I posted a pic...I listened and it turned out great.
    Mods so far include:
    chrome grover tuners
    black pickup ring (don't like the direct mount look)
    chrome nut bolts/locking blocks
    floyd upgrades brass L block
    noiseless springs
    titanium string blocks
    stainless string locking screws
    chrome volume knob
    chrome graphtech saddles
    chrome trem arm
    chrome EVH D-tuna
    Tremol-No

I think that's it so far
    The jury is still out on the tremol-no. It doesn't work as well as I thought...which in turn, affects the way the D-tuna works. When I had the standard FU.com trem stopper, the D-tuna worked great. The tremol-no tends to slip a little when put in floating/dive-only mode...which, of course, sends the guitar wildly out of tune. So right now, it's in hard-tail mode, which works ok...and I can use the D-tuna. I'm, most likely, going to ditch the tremol-no eventually. Anybody have experience with these things?

Anyway..thanks for checking out this little project of mine. If you've got suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Here's some pics (sorry...dig. camera is out of commission...these were taken with the dreaded cell phone:
    Thanks

Todd M

Sweet
    Sounds like a million bucks,.. but what are titanium string blocks?
    Or string blocks for that matter?

Comment

Looks way better with the pickup ring great mods!

Comment

Originally posted by Trem View Post
        Sweet
        Sounds like a million bucks,.. but what are titanium string blocks?
        Or string blocks for that matter?

The blocks that hold the string in the saddle.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

that looks awesome!!! good work!
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Thanks guys...yeah Plon....I just couldn't get into the direct mount pickup...and I really do think that's a mistake with the new Japanese San Dimas models. Direct mount pickups look good in only a very select few guitars...at least in my opinion. I've got an Ibanez Prestige with direct mounts, and it's killer...but that's a smaller body guitar with sharper edges...and there's not nearly as much real estate in the area where the pickups live. In that case, direct mounts look sorta natural. But the Charvels have relatively large Strat style bodies...not having a pickup ring over that bridge pickup just looks a little off (no offense to anyone who likes that). It was the only thing I didn't like about this guitar when I got it. I actually took the plunge and put holes in the body to mount that ring. Initially I wasn't going to do that because I wanted to keep the thing stock. But now that it's been changed so much, I don't really care...the ring is there to stay. It's certainly easy enough to take off if I needed to adjust that pickup.

Once again...I wish I had a really good camera...these trans color Charvels look so awesome...pictures of any kind don't do them justice..you really have to see them in person. I don't understand why Charvel didn't make more....perhaps a blue/coral color....or a grey/black trans color....Because I love the color of these guitars so much, I wouldn't even consider painting them...which is more than I can say for the standard black, white and red colors.

Anyway...thanks again for the compliments. I'd certainly be up for more suggestions, as I consider this guitar to be a work in progress. Next mod will be to ditch the tremol-no...anybody wanna buy one?....discounted
            Thanks guys!
            Todd M

Comment

ah, lol...i guess i coulda figured that out ... brain not functioning, never heard them called that tho...always called them locking inserts for 25 years...still, duh...

Comment

Not a fan of the tremelno. I had one on a USA deluxe FMT strat. The trem stayed in tune pretty well before I put that thing on, didn't afterward. It is overly complex IMO, and didn't fit in the trem cavity with the back plate on. I'm sure I would've hit one of those thumb screws in a live situation knocking the guitar out of tune or worse yet losing some small parts on a dark stage. I think the trem block thingy from Floyd upgrades is a better solution. I bought one those for a Warmoth Soloist that I've yet to put together, but I'm sure it will work great.

Comment

Originally posted by khabibissell View Post
                  Not a fan of the tremelno. I had one on a USA deluxe FMT strat. The trem stayed in tune pretty well before I put that thing on, didn't afterward. It is overly complex IMO, and didn't fit in the trem cavity with the back plate on. I'm sure I would've hit one of those thumb screws in a live situation knocking the guitar out of tune or worse yet losing some small parts on a dark stage. I think the trem block thingy from Floyd upgrades is a better solution. I bought one those for a Warmoth Soloist that I've yet to put together, but I'm sure it will work great.
                  I'm thinking I agree with you. I already have the cheapy FU.com trem stopper, and it's marvelously simple...and marvelously effective. I really do think that would've been the better option. I think the problem with the tremol-no is that its tolerances just aren't tight enough...and the thumb screws just aren't accessible enough to get a good strong turn.
                  It always boggles my mind...how these product demo videos show these people using these things, and they work absolutely perfect. Then when you try the thing out, it just doesn't live up to the expectation. That's absolutely the case here.

If you haven't tried the FU.com trem stopper, you won't be disappointed. The only problem I had with that was that it just barely cleared the trem block. Had I had a 42 mm big block, it would've been perfect. With the 37mm, it cuts it awful close.

Thanks again.
                  Todd M

Comment

Thanks for sharing this! I just bought a Trans Kandy Gold like this mainly for the HSS configuration. Honestly, there was something I just hated about the look of it and was thinking of trying a pup ring and possibly a re-finish. Now that I see how it looks w/ the ring I'm going to mount one myself and leave the finish alone. Very nice!
                    http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html

Comment

The great thing about these Charvels is that they aren't expensive enough to prevent you from modding them...and while who knows what their value will be one day (if kept stock) it's doubtful they will have the kind of vintage value a strat or LP will have (and yes..I do think that even new Strats and LPs will be valuable someday...a long time from now..as is anything that stands the test of time)
                      That said...I usually don't like to change a guitar's finish. If I don't like it to begin with, I just don't buy it. I've got some pretty nice stuff these days, and these trans colors that Charvel put out are definitely on par with some much more expensive instruments. I'm glad to hear you're going to leave your guitar's finish alone. It really is a great looking color. And I couldn't agree more...i always felt something was off with this particular guitar...fortunately, it was just as simple as mounting a 5 dollar plastic pickup ring. Enjoy your Trans Gold
                      Todd M

Comment

Very nice looking guitar...enjoy, dude, you did good. I'm sure it sounds and plays as well as it looks.

Comment

Yeah, I'm usually the same way. I just figured it was the only way to get the HSS configuration on a San Dimas short of getting a CS. It's awesome how every once in a while all it takes a is that simple little $5 item, no? I also bought a black So Cal so technically i could change the guard on it and get the same pup config... Yours is really nice, you say that the pup is still solid mounted?
                          http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by blackcloud45 View Post
                            Yeah, I'm usually the same way. I just figured it was the only way to get the HSS configuration on a San Dimas short of getting a CS. It's awesome how every once in a while all it takes a is that simple little $5 item, no? I also bought a black So Cal so technically i could change the guard on it and get the same pup config... Yours is really nice, you say that the pup is still solid mounted?
                            Thanks man...yeah...that was all it took. I loved the guitar when I first saw it in the store. I actually had purchased a red soCal, and it needed a setup...right out of the gate. So when I brought it back to the shop to have it fixed, they had just gotten the trans gold guitar...well...I was within the 10 day exchange period, so I took it. It took a little while for me to notice that something didn't seem right...then I figured it out...the direct mount pickup just didn't look good on this guitar. A 5 dollar ring and four gold screws later, I have a ring, and it turned out great. But yeah...the pickup is still directly mounted. I don't have as much adjustability this way, but it's ok..I think it's set to where I want it.
                            Thanks again for the compliments...I appreciate it.
                            Todd M

Comment

I think the $5 pickup ring makes the guitar look more like a custom shop Charvel from the '85 catalog! Back then, there were no direct mount pickups! Well done.
                              '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
                              '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
                              '98 PRS Custom 22
                              '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

Working...
                              X