Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom Shop Charvels - Poor resale value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Shop Charvels - Poor resale value?

So, I picked up this guitar a couple months back at Guitar Center. It's overall a nice guitar, but I'm finding that the flame graphic isn't my thing. So, I tried selling it, but not getting any interest, even though I priced it for what someone would pay for a brand new USA ProMod. But, now I'm considering just parting the whole thing out and selling the parts. What would you do?

Which brings up my main topic..... Have the resale values of Custom Shop Charvels tanked? Do you think that the Japan ProMods will ultimately boost the resale market for USA stratheads? Or, perhaps it reduces the pool of shoppers looking for a strathead now that they can buy a MIJ for much less?

is this the one that's been on ebay for $1299? i am really surprised it did NOT sell at that price....it's a cool guitar, and only a couple hundred more bucks than a Promod or Socal.

market is REALLY bad right now for everything, not just Charvels.

i would not part it out just yet......that's a nice one!

Comment

i actually love that guitar. i almost bid on it but i prefer maple necks. if you ever part it out, i would buy the body even with the scratches/dings/chips.
      Proud endorser of:
      Steve Clayton Inc. http://www.steveclayton.com
      GLS Audio http://www.glsaudio.com
      Orange County Speaker http://www.speakerrepair.com/

Comment

Yup. That's the one. 3 weeks on ebay with no bids, even at the $1099 starting price. I figured that was a really fair price for what it is. Someone looking at a new ProMod or a used Custom Shop at the same price. But, maybe the market for Custom Shop Charvels is just down right now?

Comment

people are out of work dude.

most people still working are afraid for what's coming next year and afraid for their jobs.

not a good time to sell anything.
          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Yep, it's the economy. Resales on all guitars have taken a hit. This is even more true for higher-end stuff, like custom shop pieces. IMHO, the cosmetic dings and scratches on that one are hurting it, too. If it were mint condition, you might get what you've been asking or even a little more. Also, it doesn't help that all the cheap skinflints on the biggest Charvel forum on the net know what you paid for it.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
              Also, it doesn't help that all the cheap skinflints on the biggest Charvel forum on the net know what you paid for it.
              good point...lol
              www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
              My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

I have my theory for Charvel pricing tanking, based on 'artificially' high prices on original SDs because you couldn't get a USA Charvel for years, then suddenly we can get pointys, then CS stratheads, then production stratheads and now import stratheads. So this has narrowed the 'high end' SD market to the relatively few people who only want an SD guitar, and my feeling is that the used pricing has dropped across the board because of this. There are just too many of them for the market to stay high. And the exclusivity and therefor pricing has dropped as well.
                Popular is not the same as good
                Rare is not the same as valuable
                Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

there is a lot of discussion regarding this recent Charvel Strat Head auction over on the USAC discussion board...it pulled $3190 even with a repaired headstock!!! Needless to say it surprised many of us die hards...goes to show you just never know

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330477757385
                  www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
                  My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

I agree with the others. The market is soft for everything right now. There are lots of smokin' deals on guitars and they aren't selling.

I would like to have that neck for an old Charvel Star that lost its neck. So if you decide to part it out I am interested. I am not a huge fan of people parting out guitars, but that is your choice.

Comment

I also dislike the flame graphics usually but this one looks great ! People not buying this have no taste :p

Comment

I can tell you why I'm not buying it.
                        I have a 2005 pointy in RGF
                        Nothing of mine is selling so I can't buy anything
                        I know you made less than what you are looking for and are selling it pretty quickly.

Comment

If you like the guitar, paint it with the scheme that fits you.
                          Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                          http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
                            If you like the guitar, paint it with the scheme that fits you.
                            That's a good point --- that might be a good way to go. It's a great player, awesome build quality, just the graphic thing. Refinishing usually seems to hurt resale, but in this case, the resale doesn't seem to be there anyways.

Comment

I saw yours on Ebay. I watched it not sell... I was not that surprised, even though it was a good deal. Stuff isn't selling, I could have had an SL2H for $750-ish last week. The market just blows right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X