Charvel necks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel necks

I don't know why, but I am finding it a little more difficult to play my Jackson DK1, mostly because the frets seem to be so large. (I think arthritis is kicking in) I have a fender strat that has smaller frets and I currently have no issues playing. I am wondering wha the frets are like on the USA so cal/san dimas models that came out the past few years are like? Are they jumbo like the Jackson frets, or more comparible to fender frets?

I hate to say it, but I am considering selling my DK1 for something that is easier for me to play. Thanks for the insite.
    "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

I don't understand how the fret size would cause or aggravate the issue... :think:

I'm almost certain the production Charvels and Jacksons use the same fret wire.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
      I don't understand how the fret size would cause or aggravate the issue... :think:
      I can't stretch my fingers like I use to. Playing a bar chord is easier on my fender than my Jackson...

For instance, I use to play a G bar with my index finger laid across all strings on the third fret, and my ring and pinky fingers holding the A and D strings two frets up. I am having difficulties making that little stretch because the frets are farther spaced, I guess...

Playing solos is the same issue, it comes down to I have limited stretching abilities.

I broke all my fingers some time back, and I guess now it's coming back to haunt me.
      "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

Fret size has no impact on the spacing between frets. That's scale length. And there's no difference in scale length betwen Fender and Jackson. Nor Charvel, for that matter. They're all 25.5" scale.

Not sure what you're "feeling" here, but it's not an issue with fret size. Maybe issues related to different fretboard radius, or something else like that.

Comment

Good to know. The radius may be the issue then. My fender neck has a smaller radius, and maybe that allows for less hand surface space around the neck. I can't say for certain, all I know is my strat is easier to play than my Jackson. I can fret chords much easier on it than the DK1. Maybe I should look up the scale length of the strat to see if that points me in some direction. It's sad though, I love my DK1.

Thanks guys.

Comment

The fender neck is also likely a touch narrower bass to treble so you can get your hand around it. For instance - its easier for me to play Jimi chords - thumb on the 6th - on a fender than a Gibbo or Jacko.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Yeah stevoc, I smashed up my right hand pretty good a few years ago and my hand has never been the same, I understand where you're coming from.

Probably the radius and width, yes. The DK1 neck is probably "effectively" a little thinner, even though the frets are taller the neck back is more than likely thinner than a Strat (at least from my recollection of a DK1 neck profile.)

I am not sure if Charvel will do a straight 9.5" radius or not on a Custom Shop- never thought I'd see Fender do a compound radius either, though!

Comment

yeah, if you're looking for a small neck radius, check out a wolfgang. They seem to feel a little smaller than a charvel.

Comment

Working...
                X