No announcement yet.

Snakeskin DeMartini... Stainless frets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snakeskin DeMartini... Stainless frets?

So, I've seen the DeMarti snakeskin guitar listed as having stainless frets a couple of places. That's very cool (I like them, no wear!) but the official PDF from Charvel doesn't list this as a feature (I think it just says "22 jumbo frets.")

Is this something spec'd on all of the DeMartini signatures, or just the snakeskin one?

:think:

This is something that is on later production Warren DeMartini Snakeskin sig models. The first ones have normal Jumbo Frets. The change was made to all new Snakes.

Comment

Thanks Mike! I've been really considering one (always loved Warren's snakeskin guitar) and that's just the icing on the cake... Or, icing on the snake. :think:

Comment

be sure to ask them to verify the frets before you buy it...if indeed you are wanting the Stainless version.

Comment

Oh absolutely, I don't understand why more manufacturers don't do SS frets (other than slightly more labor cost for the initial install/dress - which I'm totally willing to pay for) and I'm very happy to see Charvel doing this!

Any idea what S/N or date that started at? I probably won't be getting one before next year but I would hate to pick up an old stock and find out it had nickle frets.

No removing the neck for truss rod adjustments... Stainless frets... That's good stuff man.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
            Any idea what S/N or date that started at?
            Yes...inquiring minds want to know! I think mine are nickel.

Comment

When looking at a guitar, how does one tell if the frets are stainless or nickel?

And to answer your question Jazzy, I *think* stainless are a bit more difficult to work with for some reason. EDIT...nevermind, I think you answered your own question!

Comment

Yep... They're harder to install/dress (because they're harder) but you only have to do it once.

Outside of some specialized measurement or something, I really don't know how to tell other than to play it and do a lot of vibrato on the wound strings and see that they don't get scratches/grooves cut into them.

Even the 61GD frets I get from Warmoth (which aren't quite as hard as real stainless) don't show ANY wear at all after a year or so of heavy-handed playing.

Comment

I've read that they brighten the tone. Can anybody confirm this?

Comment

"They" say that they do. "They" say that s-bend saddles are the best, and a Floyd sounds thin, and you need to use chrome-plated screws for your pickguard or your toenz will leak out.

Seriously, I have not compared the exact same guitar with and without SS frets but I have not noticed a detrimental affect on the tone, however I do like a pretty bright tone.

Comment

What exactly do you need stainless steel frets for, Jazzy? What are you doing to your guitars that might "stain" them???

Hmm?

-------------------------
                      Blank yo!

Comment

Well, you know... Sometimes you hit "that note."

:ROTF:

Comment

A "brown" note?
                          -------------------------
                          Blank yo!

Comment

"You got it, dude!"

Comment

Brighter?
                              My ear never noticed it.

What did I notice?
                              The bends, bending and vibrato are easier.
                              Theoretically I have no answer as to why or how this is possible.
                              I only know based on my personal experience.
                              SS frets bending notes and vibrato is easier/smoother.
                              Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Working...
                              X