Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacement volume knobs that are nice and easy to turn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement volume knobs that are nice and easy to turn?

I had to replace the faulty volume pot on my USA SD-1 when I first got it. The pot I bought is pretty stiff and hard to turn with my pinky.

Are there replacement pots that have a smooth, easy to turn feel, like the stock knobs?
    Last edited by AndyK; 09-24-2010, 09:57 AM.
    '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
    '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
    '98 PRS Custom 22
    '10 Les Paul Traditional

It's really the pot that determines the smoothness of the turn. The knob is just along for the ride.

Comment

Well - the radius of the knob determines how much leverage you're able to put on the shaft of the pot. So a wider knob should be easier to turn than a narrow knob - unless you have girly pinkies that can't generate enough torque.

Try the MXR-style knobs that are on the EVH - those are pretty wide.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Sorry, pre-coffee post!
        I meant the POT! Pots that are easy and smooth, not knobs!
        '98 PRS Custom 22
        '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

I think RS has a "superpot" that's been made very easy to turn. Also there's the EVH pot that's supposed to be easy to turn. Not sure if the EVH one is actually out yet. I'll google...
          Blank yo!

Comment

Here's one...

http://www.rsguitarworks.net/rsstore...roducts_id=388

Someone else out there has something...
            Blank yo!

Comment

Here's the BS EVH one...

http://www.vanhalenstore.com/page/VH/PROD/GG/EVH500
              Blank yo!

Comment

Thanks, those EVH pots would be cool, assuming they fit in my Charvel (and my 80's Soloist)?
                '98 PRS Custom 22
                '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

You can get CTS solid-shafts from Allparts that are easy to turn.

I have been trying to find a reliable source for the hard-to-turn ones, because on some guitars, you need them (Model series, for example.)

You can also disassemble and re-tension the one you have. The difference is in how heavy the grease is and how much pressure the contact puts on the wiper track, you can just bend it a little to tighten or loosen it (but you won't get it as tight as the SD/Jackson pots without the heavy grease, too.)

Comment

I use the Dimarzio/CTS 500k pots in my ProMods. They are very similar to the RS pots with the bushing clip ring and a nice taper, they turn a lot easier then the stock ProMod pots. I usually give them a shot of Deoxit before installation to loosen them up even more.

Comment

RS pots are great I love the smooth feel and have some drag to them which is good if you are always hitting the vol knob and turning you guitar down in the middle of a song.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                      X