NGD Pro-mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD Pro-mod

Scored this brand new and un-opened on the Bay, I made an offer and was surprised to get it (the price was so low I bought a style 2 also)! Right out of the box it was in tune and set up quite well, I was very surprised at that because it took a cross-country trip. The trem was very stiff with 9's so I went with 2 springs. The guitar has good weight to it and the fret work is very good. I like the extra's in the gig bag too, wrench holder and strap locks. The only thing I don't like is the tone, kinda boxy with not much bottom to it. I put in a set of Dimarzio's (TZ/AN) and it helped but not quite. Would one of those big brass blocks help on this guitar? What size would you reccomend?

Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Nice. Love those yellow ones!

I'm thinking cream rings around those yellow buckers would also look pretty sweet. I've got one ProMod with a Dim Super Distortion/PAF which sounds very good and the other with a Duncan Custom - I think those are great choices.

A bunch of people have tried big brass blocks and have been happy. Myself, I don't feel the tone is lacking at all - before or after I dropped in MIG Floyds.

The first ProMods came with 37mm blocks and my later ProMod came with a 40mm block. I've replaced the 40mm block with a 37mm block and I notice the springs do a little scrape against the trem cavity on mega dive-bombs - but it always comes back in tune - so no muss no fuss.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Yellows cool looking. Which batch was this model from?
      Jackson USA Select SL1T Soloist
      Charvel USA San Dimas Style 1 HSS
      Charvel USA San Dimas Style 2 2h
      Gretsch G6128T-TVP
      Gibson LP Traditional
      Gibson J-185 EC
      Hagstrom XL5
      Hagstrom Select Ultra Swede
      Walden T550 EC

Comment

This is the 5th batch. Turk, has anyone put in a 42mm block? It seems to have some room in mine for it. I pulled out my TMZ natural and the neck on the pro-mod is a bit thicker but the TMZ is crazy thin. This pro-mod plays great with nice action, love it.
        Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Not that I know of - worse case is it rubs the back plate.
          Blank yo!

Comment

Is it just called yellow, or is it "__" yellow or yellow "__"? I was thinking of having my Warrior Pro resprayed, and I'm sure this was one of the optional finishes available in 90/91.
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I think it's Taxi Yellow. My 88 soloist is Banana Yellow and a tad lighter.

Comment

Originally posted by jcm800x View Post
                This is the 5th batch. Turk, has anyone put in a 42mm block? It seems to have some room in mine for it. I pulled out my TMZ natural and the neck on the pro-mod is a bit thicker but the TMZ is crazy thin. This pro-mod plays great with nice action, love it.
                I've got a 42 mm brass block in my pro mod, it fits just fine.

Comment

I put a floydupgrades 42 mm block in a Pro Mod and there was no room for pull-up whatsoever- dive-only.

Comment

But did you get More Tone? And how much more tone? 25%? 50%?
                    Blank yo!

Comment

Will it not go up due to the width or length? That didn't come out right....

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                        But did you get More Tone? And how much more tone? 25%? 50%?
                        I don't know, but that guitar sure did sound good!

Originally posted by jcm800x View Post
                        Will it not go up due to the width or length? That didn't come out right....
                        It's all about girth, my friend.

Um, so the front-to-back thickness is what was stopping it. I don't have a pic of the cavity from the rear (huh huh huh ) but the pic I posted shows the trem leaned back as far as it would go, and the spring-side edge of the block was right against the wood in the cavity (huh huh huh huh huh.)

Comment

This is interesting - re: size in the hole.

I have a strat and the stock block on the floyd is just about against the wall of the route. I'm guessing I couldn't even use a big block on that guitar. Good to know.
                          Blank yo!

Comment

I like those guitars, I almost bought one and still may...but is the bridge pup further forward on them than usual?

Comment

GT,

I had the same issue stuffing a 37mm big block in my SL2H. I just took a dremel to the block where the springs go in and counter sunk so that the springs could go in deeper.

Comment

Working...
                              X