Mixin' it up with a little chrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixin' it up with a little chrome

I went to my local music store today...no Jap. Pro-Mods yet. Still have the same 2 or 3 So Cals, and a few San Dimas Style 1 and 2's.
    I'm real content with my set of USA Pro-Mods...but I'm never completely satisfied...I won't touch my SD 2 Telly...I put the custom pick guard on it and it's perfect. Same goes for the So Cal...I just really dig the way it looks stock. So that leaves my SD 1 (Trans Kandy)...I didn't like the direct mount look (that's really the only thing I didn't like)...so I used a little double-sided tape and put a ring around the pickup. Eventually, I might commit one day..whether that means screws for the ring...or a whole new setup. But for now, it's hard to tell it's taped on there.

Anyway, while I was at the store, I saw they had the same tuners as the stock (black) Grovers....except these were chrome. They also had the chrome locking blocks (on the nut)...so I figured I'd check them out. I bought a DiMarzio chrome volume knob as well, but that didn't fit.
    So here's the result. I actually really like it. I never have a problem mixing chrome and black...they belong together...and it worked out well on this guitar. Here's the pics...

BTW...I have a set of black tuners now that I'm looking to sell. If anybody's looking for some replacements, the ones I have are literally mint condition.
    PM me...I'm fine selling them at a significant discount to new.

Thanks guys.
    Todd M

Looks cool. You should change it all out and get rid of that ugly ass black. Chrome would set that guitar off (I think).

Comment

Change the floyd, the knob, the nut and the guide to chrome. It works on that guitar.

Cream pickups might be cool, or a direct-mounted pickup
      I like EL34s.

Comment

Thanks..but I'm kinda goin for something a little different here...I like the mix..reminds me of my Harley. All the guitars are either all chrome or all black. I thought about buying the chrome nut. It aint like it was expensive...but I'm diggin the mix. I would like a chrome trem arm to kinda go with the theme...and a chrome volume knob...particularly the Charvel knob. Anybody know where I can buy Charvel parts direct..if i can?
        Todd M

Comment

You can find those knobs on Ebay if you want the "meat tenderizer" chrome knob, but any knob for a 1/4" solid shaft will work. Allparts has them in chrome, dome or Tele-style.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
            You can find those knobs on Ebay if you want the "meat tenderizer" chrome knob, but any knob for a 1/4" solid shaft will work. Allparts has them in chrome, dome or Tele-style.
            Thanks man...I'll check that out.
            Todd M

Comment

I think the hybrid hardware looks cool. Get real crazy and put the chrome saddles on the black Floyd and see how it looks.
              "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
              I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeStrat View Post
                I think the hybrid hardware looks cool. Get real crazy and put the chrome saddles on the black Floyd and see how it looks.
                Thanks man...I like it too..it's growing on me. I'm actually surprised more folks haven't done this. It's cool mixing chrome with black...I don't think it ever looks awkward or strange.
                I just ordered the chrome volume knob (off ebay) last night...that should look cool on there...and your idea about the chrome saddles is great...I'm definitely going to look into that.

If anyone needs a black trem arm, I'll be happy to trade for a chrome one.

Thanks again.
                Todd M

Comment

Working...
                X