Charvel San Dimas or Charvel pointy head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel San Dimas or Charvel pointy head

Hey guys... I recently moved to the west coast of Canada and having to buy a lot of new gear. I could wait for the army to send my stuff, but that likely wont be for another year and they still havent confirmed my future posting, so i could also be sent back to the east coast. Anyways i went to check out a local shop and they are liquidating their Charvels. All US models too, not the new jap models. I think they are batch 7 and some 8s. There are a lot of them there but the salesman was honest with me, they need to get rid of them cause most of em have been hanging dry on that wall. I guess theres not much love for charvels around here, than again not every musician out theres knows where to find the good axes. Some people never see out of the Gibson/Fender wall. Anyways so the price difference between a pointy headstock Charvel and the San dimas i want is about 100$. Theres a nice trans honey/orange colored san dimas i want. Its a hh with black pickguard. Fantastic guitar and i just love it. The neck is perfect. Reminds me of my strat but has a nicer profile. it's 869$ about. There is another SD just in black though and they only want 770$ for it, but its too bland for my taste. The pointy headstock is like dark blue with a nice airbrushed paint job. The neck is a lot thinner and more reminescent of my 90's professional Jackson. It's only 999$ for it. I am not sure if i would be happier with the pointy headstock or just the San Dimas. I like that the san dimas has a maple fretboard versus the pointy charvel's rosewood, but the paintjob does look really nice and that neck is fast. In the middle of all this, they are selling a mutt that they created. Someone bought a pointy headstock charvel, but wanted the neck off of a So Cal Tele. So now with the remaining parts they made a so cal tele with a pointy headstock. They'd let it go for 600$. It would probably make one amazing player, but im unsure if it be a smart move to buy a mutt like that

Does anyone here have any insight for me here? Whats the better deal here. Also who has experience with both these axes?

thank you, i always appreciate you guys' expertise

does the pointy have a floyd? if so i'd go for the pointy, the promods will be available at those prices quite ofteni imagine, as where the pointys seem to be a little harder to find (At least over here anyway)
    i'd go for the pointy, and if you did for whatever reason change your mind, it would be easier to sell the pointy and get the promod you liked, as where if you changed your mind after buying the promod, you'd have trouble finding a pointy to replace it with
    i could be wrong, but over here thats how i'd see it, plus i just think the pointys look way cooler!

Comment

Well I have a San D style 1 hss on the way and am thinking of buying a SD style 2 hh if for no other reason than I have a sneaky feeling the US Prod models are going to be worth alot more than they r being sold for right now. Now Im not talking about buying them as investments but, I also dont believe they are going to lose there value. They are becoming scarce at least here in the US. And there prices have stayed relatively steady. Long winded way of saying I dont think you can go wrong with any US prod model you can get.
      Jackson USA Select SL1T Soloist
      Charvel USA San Dimas Style 1 HSS
      Charvel USA San Dimas Style 2 2h
      Gretsch G6128T-TVP
      Gibson LP Traditional
      Gibson J-185 EC
      Hagstrom XL5
      Hagstrom Select Ultra Swede
      Walden T550 EC

Comment

I'd purchase which ever one feels the best in your hands. I'm a sucker for a pointy head with graphics but if you prefer the way the Pro Mod plays and feels then go with that one. It's a win, win situation either way. My So Cal is my work horse guitar for the most part and the one I play the most but I really like the sound of that pointy.

Comment

I'd buy both (actually I did).

Comment

Hmm well i only really need one right now. I my model 4 here, but it's been ruined by the previous owner. I don't care for the EMG 85 he swapped in the bridge position. Also the Schaller Floyd is dead. The knife edges are beyond blunt. I ordered a replacement licensed bridge, which is a shame, but itll be a step up either way. Anyways I think i may head for the So Cal. I think its from the 7th batch. I quite like the look it has.

Comment

I prefer my pointy reissue Charvel with a floyd over my slimer pro-mod because the neck is more comfortable to me. It just seems to be a better quality guitar to me.

Comment

+1 for the Pointy RI's. The neck shape is what makes them the guitars I keep going back to. Simply the best feeling necks I have played.

Comment

ive got an SD1 & but like the thinner pointy headstock necks better. i do think they are also better made guitars, from what ive seen. as for the mutt ide play it and depending on how it plays make your decision. i find tele bodies uncomfortable to play, ive had a few & always sell them after a few months.

Comment

pointy...

Comment

I bought the Charvel So Cal. I got it in black with maple fretboard. It's a crazy good guitar. I got them to lower the price to 700$ CAD for it. The pointy neck San Dimas standard had a really worn neck. I think everyones had a go at her at that shop. Normally i don't mind worn out, but he wouldn't lower more than 50$. The guitar was 999$ and lowered from 1500$ or so. It's not just that Charvels are unpopular in this area, this one has just seen better days. I'm happy with my purchase. Besides, for 1000-1200$ i could find a nice used USA jackson. Thats my next guitar, but i am good for a long while now. I have every guitar to fit all my tastes. Fender american standard hss strat, 1988 Ibanez RG550, Jackson Professional Soloist STD, Charvel model 4 and a US Charvel socal.

will post pictures

Comment

Yeah nothin'beats a pointy Charvel neck,fast and crazy easy to do your thing..

Addicted to that Rush..

Comment

I have owned and played both. The new ones are better in my opinion. Love the nostalgia of the pointy cuz I grew up in the late 70's-80's however I also remember my favorite Charvel players actually having San Dimas made "Strat Head" guitars...soooooo.

Now, I will go get my flame resistant suit on.....

Comment

I own both Pro mods and Pointies. Both are great neck shapes, but I find myself playing my pointies more.On a side note, I have also noticed that any of the guitars made in the CS seem to have more resonant bodies. Just tap the wood!

Comment

Working...
                            X