Want a So Cal..need some guitar selling advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want a So Cal..need some guitar selling advise

Hey guys...I've been playing a long time now...and I've bought and sold a lot of guitars. Recently (over the last few years), I sold/traded off most of my old guitars and started a whole new collection. I did sell an older Charvel import, which I do regret...I also regret selling a Kramer Nightswan and a Larive 12-string acoustic...everything else I could care less about. Guitars purchased since 2006 include a PRS CE22 (bolt-on USA-made), Ibanez RGT320Q J-Custom, Les Paul Std, Fender American Deluxe, 2 Charvel Pro-Mods, a PC-1, and most recently, an Epiphone Sheraton 2.

The last guitar in this list was kinda a goof purchase to begin with. I had sold some computer equipment and had a few extra bucks. Unlike my previous purchases, I didn't do too much research. I had seen an ad in a guitar magazine, and thought was a pretty cool looking guitar. I was always curious about hollow bodies and semi-hollow bodies. I've had a fondness for numerous players who played these guitars. Looking back, I really kinda feel like if I was really interested in one of these, I should've put away another grand and a half and picked up a Gibson ES.

So I'll get to my point. I paid around 6 hundred bucks for the Sheraton...added a SD 59 (neck) and pearly gates (bridge)...and picked up gold covers so the guitar looked stock...and of course, I got a cheap gig bag.
    So in the end, I've paid close to a grand for this thing, when you include the pickups, covers, and labor to install all this. Now here's where I'm at....I really can't get into it's sound and playability. It's an absolutely beautiful guitar...amazing for the money (although some of the "gold" hardware is already rubbing off to silver Still...it just doesn't match my playing style. I play hard rock primarily...and some clean stuff. The guitar sounds pretty good clean, but distorted, it just doesn't cut it. Once again...I kinda was concerned about this from the beginning. Now, I'm past the 30 days that GC will take a return...so I'm screwed. I took it to a few stores today, and asked what they'd give me...200 bucks...which also didn't surprise me...but it did disappoint. Paid 1000 about a month ago...they'll give me 200 now...meanwhile, they could absolutely put it on the wall as new.

I really want to pickup a So Cal...a USA So Cal...before the Japanese versions come out. But right now, because all the guitars I've picked up the last couple months...if I come home with another, I think my wife is going to send me to a shrink..either that, or she'll be going to a shrink herself. If I get rid of one...particularly one that doesn't thrill me, this justifies picking up a So Cal. But I'm not going to trade this thing and only get 200 bucks back. That's 800 lost in less than 6 weeks. F**k that!!! So now I'm considering selling it on ebay...this is one thing I've never done. I sell on ebay all the time..but not guitars. And I'd be afraid to sell this thing especially. No hard case...and it seems a little more fragile than my other axes.
    So I would sure love some advice here. And if anyone is looking for a good deal on an Epi Sheraton with some great pickups, let me know

Thanks guys!
    Todd M

Try your local Craigslist.

Caveat - the used guitar market is REALLY soft right now. I've been trying to move a couple new G&L Cantrell Rampages about $150 cheaper than eBay, and...nothing. It's sad. Not even tire-kickers. Odd... But it's teh sukkz.

Comment

Yeah seems like you should be getting closer to the $400 - $500 range. eBay is the greatest guitar marketplace in the world, although it comes with risks. Take the "sure thing" for half the value, or take on a little risk and get full value. You must decide that for yourself.

Comment

My advice: no apostrophe in its
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
        X