Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charvel made Dimarzio bodies... Anyone know history on these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel made Dimarzio bodies... Anyone know history on these?

Hello Everyone,

I recently picked up a star shaped guitar stamped Dimarzio in the pocket. It has a Zolla guitars(san diego) pointy neck from the same period. It is a wood grain body with a single ply cream binding around it. Single HB route with an original Schecter Brass bridge.

I have read some details regarding Dimarzio bodies being made by Charvel in the late 70's and early 80's during San Dimas days. Is this correct?

I also heard that Zolla Guitars may have been one of the shops outsourced by Charvel to make some of their necks in the earlier days. Is this correct?

Charvel was making parts for Dimarzio from roughly 1979-1982. After that I believe Dimarzio made a deal with ESP.
    I don't know the second part of your question. I never heard of Zolla Guitars.

Comment

I know Earl Slick played those Dimarzio guitars a little while there in the 80's.

Comment

Dimarzio sourced their bodies and necks from many different manufacturers in the 70's and early 80's. Charvel was one of them. So was Mighty Mite.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

I own a few. They are early San Dimas bodies built before and after the route change. Also had a Zolla and a few years ago gave it and 3 other guitars away for free. It was in no way a Charvel. He made parts but my history search did not connect him with Charvel.

It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

I have a Dimarzio star body, found it on ebay. It was N.O.S., 2 piece ash body never painted and no volume or controls drilled. It has single ply cream binding. I had it painted black. Lost the pics of it before it was painted. Here it is with the neck off, showing the burned in logo.

Last edited by plon; 09-06-2010, 03:39 PM.

Comment

lu that star... I would give it a nice home

Comment

I have that body !!

Hey 83SanDimas,

I have that exact body (the one with the stripes in it) Can you tell me anything about it ? I'm about to start a project with it.

Regards,
                Ian.

Comment

Hey Ian. I have 4 or 5 of those in various conditions, all made by charvel around 81. post some pics front and back.

Kevin

Comment

My Dimarzio Body

Hi Kev,

Here's Mine

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59881141@N02/5471386234
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/59881141@N02/5470797221
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/59881141@N02/5470798977

Hope this helps.

Ian.

Comment

Dimarzio Body

Comment

Originally posted by For_The_Love_Of_Jems View Post
                        I recently picked up a star shaped guitar stamped Dimarzio in the pocket. It has a Zolla guitars(san diego) pointy neck from the same period. It is a wood grain body with a single ply cream binding around it. Single HB route with an original Schecter Brass bridge.
                        Hey FTLOJ,

Man that sounds familiar. Boom! Previous thread here: http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/636...ighlight=zolla

You can also find other threads that discuss Zolla by putting Zolla in the search box up top there. There are some funny comments on the one that's titled Zolla Baby!

I have
                        I also heard that Zolla Guitars may have been one of the shops outsourced by Charvel to make some of their necks in the earlier days. Is this correct?
                        Don't think so.
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yeah, that guitar was around. I actually thought about picking it up at one time. I actually have some old Dimarzio bodied guitars and I love that stuff. I have an Ash 2H Strat, a Mahogany-curly-top bound Explorer and a Mahogany S-S-S Strat. The two Mahogany ones have a definite Ellsworth flavor to them and it's obvious they came out of the same wood supply. These were made about 1980.
                          Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
                          98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

This one is all Dimarzio parts. The body could be a Charvel but I'm not sure that anybody could say for sure...it's consistent with Charvel manufacture. The neck I would think was most likely made by ESP. I originally built this as an Earl Slick clone but have since tweaked it more to my liking...out with the X2N and in with a PAF in this picture. It currently has a Dimarzio Rick Derringer Sig pickup in it.

Comment

That would be an eye catcher.

I wonder why there aren't more tinted maple necks (other than the fact that it looks odd compared to the originals).

Comment

Working...
                              X