Unfinished necks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfinished necks

I love the way the unfinished necks feel on my two promods & I'm thinking of taking the finish off of a couple Jackson's I own with maple necks/fretboards.
    I could realy use some advice though, what is the safest & most effective method to do this?

Thanks

I recommend that you lick the finish off of the neck. I do that. Honest to God. Takes quite some time though.

Comment

There is no safe/effective way to remove the poly finish from a neck. If it's lacquer, get some acetone and go to town. However fi the frets are seated with cyanoacrylate they will come off with the finish if you are not careful.

The "unfinished" necks are actually Tru Oil. It feels like raw wood, but it's not. It's a hard finish.

Basically, "I wouldn't."

Comment

The best thing to do with those poly finished necks is to scuff the back of the neck with fine steel wool or a Scotch Brite pad to get the gloss off & make it more of a satin finish. It'll feel less sticky and a little closer to what an oiled neck is like, plus it's totally reversible with a little buffing.

Comment

In the time it would take to do this, you could master 3 new scales. Wouldn't that be time better spent?

Comment

I've only removed the finish from necks that were on 'cost effective' guitars that I really didn't care about. I used a similar process like dg states above and added varying grades of sandpaper to the mix as well. After removing the finish, added tru oil to protect the wood. All turned out okay after a lot of effort but I wouldn't recommend doing this with any guitar you care about. Just my opinion.

Comment

So what are these pro mod necks?
              I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

They're Tru Oil.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                  The best thing to do with those poly finished necks is to scuff the back of the neck with fine steel wool or a Scotch Brite pad to get the gloss off & make it more of a satin finish. It'll feel less sticky and a little closer to what an oiled neck is like, plus it's totally reversible with a little buffing.
                  That is one approach and that works pretty well.

I also could recommend never cleaning them, but making sure your hands are relatively clean before playing them. You don't want peanut butter and motor oil all over them, but once they get a nice coat of the natural oil of your skin on them from your hands, they feel much slicker... But when they are clean, they feel "sticky" for sure.

Lacquer is the opposite though, I have to clean those really well with naphtha and a paper towel or they ball up and get gummy.

Comment

I scraped the finish off a Model series neck with a big knife and then sanded it "sorta smooth." It took less time than mastering three scales.
                    -------------------------
                    Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                      In the time it would take to do this, you could master 3 new scales. Wouldn't that be time better spent?
                      ... or fighting Galvatron?
                      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                        ... or fighting Galvatron?
                        Took me a second. Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                          They're Tru Oil.
                          sooo, youre supposed to oil them?
                          I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Tru Oil isn't really an oil finish, it doesn't need to be maintained like one.

It actually makes a hard finish and AFAIK you don't really have to maintain it outside of re-applying some to protect it, if you scuff it off down to the wood or whatever.

Comment

there's my method- Use a power sander. It'll get the job done quick!

...No, I'm not kidding.

Comment

Working...
                              X